Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tomatoes and Carnival Costumes

The most notable things that happened this week:

Late night studying Tuesday for the physiology test on Wednesday, which included some excellent pasta, entirely too many cookies, and lots of discussion of membrane potential

Physiology 423 test on Wednesday

Read an entire book in less than 24 hours between Wednesday night and Thursday morning (now you all know my shame)

Enjoyed the first snow in Germany since I've been here Thursday morning

Witnessed (and mostly understood!) an amusing exchange between my host mom and sister Wednesday at dinner

Got my Carnival costume on Thursday

Did more running to train for the half marathon

Discussed The Hunger Games with some other students (I won't say too much more about this for those who haven't yet read the series and are still hoping to be surprised, but suffice it to say I was appalled at their opinions. I know opinions aren't supposed to be wrong, but there are exceptions to every rule, and in this case you guys are wrong! You know who you are.)

To elaborate about the amusing exchange, there was a bowl of tomatoes and Malin was really enjoying eating them. She kept wanting more, and even ate some of Janika's. Her mom explained that it was cold outside and tomatoes need warm weather to grow, and these had come from Israel but it was kind of expensive so they couldn't get a whole lot of them. Then Malin was being all dramatic and wailing, “Tomaten! Toooomaaaateeeen!” She also pretended her mother was a tomato and she was going to eat her. She did the same thing to her sister, but she shouted, “Nein, ich bin Paprika!” so she switched back to her mother. Then she started planning a Carnival costume to be a tomato. The whole thing was rather entertaining, and although I didn't understand every word, I understood enough to get the idea, which was nice.


As for my Carnival costume, I went with Candy and Yesenia after class on Thursday to a shop near Beual. As we were walking along the street, Candy said the snow made her want to sing Christmas songs. I only need the slightest excuse to break out in song, so sing we did, starting with “It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas,” and moving right into “Let It Snow” and others. At the costume store we all met with success, and I can now confidently say that I will be a scarecrow for Carnival.

One more funny event to relate: last night we made pizza, and we each put toppings on our own quarter so we could have what we wanted. Without thinking, I grabbed the cheese, only to be informed that cheese goes last on German pizza. Right. I knew that. Just ignore the silly American and her strange cheese habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment