Sunday, February 19, 2012

The London Lowdown

So I basically just got back to Bonn from London, but I figured I should get this post up before I forgot anything. My weekend was awesome! I took an evening flight into Gatwick on Friday, caught a bus into central London, and then took an "Overground" train to the hostel where I met my friend, Moriah, who's studying abroad in England this semester. It was the first time I've ever flown completely by myself, and considering it was an international flight to a country I'd never visited before, I was pretty pleased with myself for not getting lost (or "chuffed to bits" as the Brits would say). Of course, it did help that everyone spoke English. It was so nice to be able to read street signs, and tube maps, and bus pamphlets, and train schedules, and ask for directions, and.... you get the picture. Plus, who doesn't love hearing everyone speak with a British accent?

Anyway, on Saturday morning Moriah and I took the tube to Notting Hill and walked along Portobello Market, which was a lot of fun. There were vendors squeezed in all over the sidewalks, selling everything from pocket watches to teapots. From there we walked through London to another Underground Station which we took to some of the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) buildings and went to a Dr. Who exhibition. (Call us nerds, but it was really exciting!) They had a lot of old sets and costumes, and some behind-the-scenes material. Afterwards, we grabbed an early dinner and went to see Billy Elliot, which was playing on West End. It's kind of the equivalent to seeing a show on Broadway back in America, so naturally-- it was incredible! Fulfilling London stereotypes, it rained on us as we made our way back to the hostel that night.

I didn't have too much time in London today, because I had to catch a bus back to the airport at three o'clock, but in the morning Moriah and I ate a picnic-style brunch in Kensington Gardens. We hung out there for quite a bit just enjoying the sun. It was a bit warmer than Bonn, so it was nice to have a sneak peak of spring. Another difference between Bonn and London is that in London, jaywalking is practically a sport. After two months of strictly adhering to crosswalks and pedestrian lights, I was stunned and amused by Londoners racing across streets in front of oncoming cars. Overall, I really enjoyed this quick taste of London, and I'm looking forward to going back at the end of the semester to visit some of the more touristy attractions like Big Ben and Buckingham Palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment