Monday, February 27, 2012

Vienna part 2


Here's the second installment of Vienna memoirs.


Although a lot has happened so far during this study abroad trip, one of the most memorable experiences will be dinner Friday night in Vienna. We had great service, excellent beer, the best pretzels ever for appetizers, delicious Viennese food, all kinds of desserts, and just an all around memorable dinner. It really felt like a big family - perhaps that's a sign that we're becoming more tightly knit as a group. Dr. Wasser really treated us well with this one. If you're a prospective student reading this blog, all you need to know is Dr. Wasser is the man! Seriously, go to Germany with him and you'll see what I'm talking about. Other highlights from Friday were driving down to Neustadt to visit the University of Applied Sciences. I actually included some of the information about student and class size for this University in my previous blog post. I mixed up my information about the Vienna Medical School. We had some free time today so a few friends and I checked out the Hundertwasserhaus. It's a building designed and built
by a contemporary artist, Hundertwasser (see pictures below). It's a truly remarkable sight. It literally looks like something out of a Dr. Suess book, and people actually rent apartments and live in the Hundertwasserhaus. If I was a kid growing up there, I would such a distorted perception of reality - thinking that I came from a Dr. Suess book or something. There's also a souvenir shop right across the street that houses the Toilet of Modern Art, where you can pay .60 euros to relieve yourself onto "art." I didn't have any change, but I thought the idea was cool.



















Saturday of the Vienna excursion was great. It was truly awe inspiring to stand in the house of the great Sigmund Freud. Dr. Wasser gave a lecture on pyschoanalysis INSIDE Sigmund Freud's house. Not only is that absolutely cool for us as students, but equally as great of an opportunity for him as an instructor. I ended up buying a couple of his books while we were there. I intended for them to be gifts for my girlfriend, Brittany, and someone else, but they may have to wait until I'm done reading them. They are fascinating! We also went to the museum of natural history. I don't care how old you are, dinosaur fossils are always cool. It still amazes me how large all the lifeforms were millions of years ago. But from what I remember in my entomology class, smaller is more efficient. It's also crazy to think that some animals haven't evolved since the Jurassic period (for example, turtles). This means they are some of the most successful biological designs thus far. We had a tour through most of the rooms with a very helpful guide then went back to the hotel to pick up our luggage and fly back to Bonn. All together, it made for one truly amazing trip.



Until next time....
















No comments:

Post a Comment