Monday, May 1, 2017

Week 4: Reality of Having a Broken Leg Slowly Sinking In

Waking up Sunday, 5/02/17, I stayed in bed for a couple hours trying to wrap my head around all that had happened the week before in Vienna. I went through all the events in my head and reflected on what I could’ve done better but I came to the realization that I didn’t regret a single decision. I was proud of trying a new thing and even though I failed spectacularly, as my host parents said, “Shit happens.” I wasn’t super sad about my leg either because I knew I was going to try to still do everything I would’ve done if I hadn’t broken my leg. I made my way downstairs to eat breakfast with my host family and spent the rest of the day hanging out with them and playing with their cat, Cleo. My host dad, Egbert, had once needed crutches too after a surgery on his Achilles so he pulled out his crutches and tried showing me how to use them properly. So there we were for about an hour just practicing using the crutches. I just couldn’t get the concept but my form did improve slightly. Later that night I received a text on my German phone from Nick, our other AIB coordinator, about my first hospital appointment the next day. Getting accustomed to life with a huge cast on my right leg was hard. I had to keep my leg off the ground and learn how to do everyday tasks balancing on my left leg. I’m also really independent and hate having to ask people for help but since I couldn’t use my hands to grab or carry things since they had to hold onto my crutches, I was learning how to speak up and ask for help. My host mom let me borrow a tiny little backpack that I could fill with things and wear while on my crutches which was super thoughtful of her. I spent a really long time preparing for my shower that night and the act itself also took a long time. I finally got into bed but couldn’t really sleep because I was too nervous and excited for my hospital appointment the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment