Monday, May 1, 2017

Week 12: Alexa Walks Once Again!

This week started out with a bang! On Sunday, April 2nd, the Bonn Marathon took place. The marathon and accompanying races was one of the highlights that had made me want to come on this study abroad program. Due to my little incident, I wasn’t able to participate in the half marathon like I had originally intended to do. Nevertheless, I was anxious to support my fellow classmates and AIB personnel as they ran for charity. The forecast had been saying it was going to rain the day of the marathon but when I woke up that morning the sun was out and the temperature was just right. I met up with a fellow classmate, Christine, and together we headed over to Friedensplatz since the route ran straight through it and that was going to be the best area to see people from the program. It was such a festive atmosphere with people out and about enjoying the good weather and cheering on the runners. There was a DJ booth set up right next to the course so we also had a good soundtrack to listen to as we waited. I had to be careful where I crutched since there were so many people but Christine and I found a good spot where we could see perfectly and where I could lean my crutches on the fence so my hands were free to clap. We cheered on runners for about an hour and moved further down the course before we found Dr. Wasser. They walked and I crutched back to the area we had been and settled in. We finally saw a group of AIB student workers who had finished their runs and then they left shortly to join another student worker who ran by us so they could all finish together. Dr. Wasser soon left but Chelsea and Clare had found us and hung out with us for a while. I took some action shots of Kyle and Nathan since they were the only ones we saw run by and then Christine and I made our way to the finish line to see if we could find them. Once we found them, we talked for a bit and then Nathan and Clare went on their way and Christine, Kyle, a girl from another program, and I went for some gelato. It had physically hurt to see people running and doing a race that I had had my heart set on from the beginning but I knew I would one day be running again and I was thankful that my injury hadn’t been more serious.
On Monday I had a physiology test in the afternoon that I wasn’t super confident about and two classes. Thankfully my first class wasn’t until 11:45 so I woke up early to review some notes. The test wasn’t as awful as I thought it was going to be and the classes went by quickly so before I knew it, I was back home preparing for the excursion to Bingen and Andernach taking place the next day. We were traveling to Bingen and Andernach taking place the next day.s of Bingen and Andernach. We were to meet at the Hofgarten bus parking lot at 08:15

No comments:

Post a Comment