Monday, May 1, 2017

Week 13 - Bingen and Berlin!

This week our program had the privilege of visiting a very old and famous town here in the Rhineland called Bingen. This trip served as a parallel to what we are learning about in our history of medicine lectures because this town is where the famous Hildegard von Bingen was from. We visited a museum about her which was very nice and got to look at some breathtaking views along the Rhine. Also, while in Bingen it was pullout day!!! For that day I was able to say my first whoop as a student from the fightin Texas aggie class of 2019 A-A-A-A-A!!!!! (back to the normal wildcat bc pullout day is over lol) but anyways, all of the sophomores took some really nice pictures together and we had a really great time there. Our next stop that day was in Andernach which again, was a nice little town just north of Bingen and we were able to go to a museum about the history of medicine in europe and it was very interesting! We finished out our day by grabbing some gelato and driving back in time to make our MATH 308 lecture.

Once the weekend hit, it was time to unwind and let loose because we went to Berlin!!!! I traveled with Maggie, Angelica, Sarahi, Rachel, Clare, Ethan and Nathan. It was actually a really great group of people to go with! The first night, we stayed in and talked inside of our scorching hot hostel. I honestly dont know how I fell asleep because I hate being hot in bed. But anyways, the next morning we woke up and went to the Brandenburg Gate which was definitely a sight for sore eyes. It's the hallmark of German icons and I am so glad I got to see it. Next we walked through the tiergarten which was a beautifully huge park in the center of Berlin until we made it to the victory memorial. the victory memorial was a large column in the middle of the road with a golden lady on top. It looked very nice from the outside. We then made the mistake of actually paying to go to the top because they had no elevator and the stairs were steep and narrow. I almost passed out by the time I got to the top. And to top it all off, when I got to the top the views were...... well lets just say I should have just kept my money lol. Anyways after that experience we walked to the memorial for murdered jews which was an astonishing piece of abstract work and I was thoroughly impressed at the magnitude of size. Across the street from the memorial was a nice restaurant where we stopped to try some famous Berlin Currywurst. It was so cool because you could either order Eastern style currywurst or Western style currywurst. We all tried both and I think we all came to a mutual agreement that the eastern style was better. Next we went to checkpoint charlie and saw lots of other landmarks which was very cool. By the time the night hit, we went to get dinner from a place called Burgermeister and I had, hands down, the BEST burger ive ever eaten in my life there. I dont know what they did to it, but that burger was life changing. After that delicious experience, we went to a club and partied a bit there and had lots of fun (Club Matrix). The next morning we woke up, had some good vietnamese food, and then went to museum island for the grand finale of the trip. On museum Island we visited two museums: The Pergamon, and the Niuse. They were both fantastic, i saw amazing things like the Ishtar gate of babylon and also the bust of Queen Nefertiti! Altogether I had a blast in the capital of Germany and I can't wait to be back one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment