Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Week 6: Carneval


Karneval weekend Baby! I really came to love this celebration time! Being able to participate with AIB in the parade was a blast! I was so entertained throwing candy at kids and people outside on their balconies. Some even used umbrellas to catch what we threw! When the weekend came, a lot of people left to travel due to having a 4-day weekend but I stayed for the parties going on in Bonn and Cologne. It was odd to me that EVERYONE was not only open carrying, but dancing on top of fence lines/buildings and the police were standing close by enjoying the festival too!  I was also surprised to see such huge masses of college kids hanging out near the Rhine, partying from the morning to 3-4am in the morning! Cologne was even crazier since entire districts of the city were shut down for the sole purpose of Karneval. It made 6th street in Austin look pitiful! We were able to have a fun time since we were smart about our drinking by taking it throughout the day with water and meal breaks throughout whenever we needed. We also had a few sober people to watch over the group since it was very easy to get lost, pickpocketed, or drink too much. It’s a fun time but it can also go very badly since most people are severely intoxicated and can often act out. I myself had someone try to fight me for no apparent reason but because I had other capable friends with me the situation was avoided and I was still able to have fun which I’m very grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment