Monday, March 4, 2019

Will scrubs be my things in the future or not?

Week 6.
This week is the week to prepare for tests, but also the week that fills with all of the amazing moments. Uniklink Bonn, University of Clinic, brought me to the real surgery, the real experience of what is a surgeon. I got to be in the otorhinolaryngology department with Sid. We got to see the surgery on the women who have cancer removed ten years ago, and they have the suspect of cancer growing back so they opened the area behind and below her ear and took some sample to double check. The surgeon took 2 samples and send it to the lab, which took about 30-45 minutes. While waiting for the lab result to be back, me and Sid we decided to check out other operating rooms. We went to the room that performing the hip replacement on a woman that is around 80 years old. In this room, we got to see they did the X-ray and examined the X-ray pictures. It felts like the surgeon is a health mechanical engineering. But it still hasn't fulfilled my desire of watching surgery yet. What I want to see the most cardiac surgery. While taking a break at the breaking room, Katherina came in and brought me to her surgery room, which is a CARDIACCCC one. the septum on the left heart of the patient was kinda thicker compared to the normal heart. In addition, there was also a small tissue that prevents the blood flow to the aorta. This result in the low oxygen in blood than being flowed through the arteries. So they decided to remove some of the tissues to return the flow back and oxygen concentration. I got to see a bypass by my eyes, seeing this helped me understand the ECMO better since they have the same function. I was kind selfish when I spend almost 1/3 left of the surgery standing up front and watch the surgery, how they reattached the vessels to the heart and cut some of the tissue. I was planned to stay for another cardiac surgery, but I was so hungry and tired some, so me and Vivian, we decided to went back.
On the way home, I was thinking about whether I should go to med school or not. It is a lot of commitment to the major since I don't want to give up in the middle of the road there. I still don't know whether I should go to the industry or continue up to the surgeon. WILL SCRUBS BE MY THINGS IN THE FUTURE? WILL I BE ABLE TO MAKE IT OR NOT? 
For my daily life, my host mom still sick, she still hasn't recovered yet. I still feel bad, but I can't help anything.

1 comment:

  1. Yoong, for what it's worth, I can so see you as a doctor!!

    ReplyDelete