Saturday, March 9, 2019

Uniklinik and Getting Lost

Uniklinik was a chance for us to see what a anastisiologist does and how surgies are done to see how physiology works in the real world. My first surgery I got to see was a spinal surgery. The patient was a 90 year old male, which made it hard for the anastiaologist to get the anastia in the vines due to them being so small and disconnected. I remember seeing a lot of blood coming out from all the attempts at putting him asleep. I asked the anastiaologist what the surgery was for and she said he kept getting seizures and that they would clean up the inside of the spine to allow more fluid to reach the brain. This surgery was small and short, only about a 4 inch insition and 2 hours long. The second surgery a part of the knee got removed and replaced with an artificial part. This was also pretty quick and had a small incision. Afterwards, I was so tired from watch and standing for so long. This wasn't for me, but was a great experience. There wasn't enough talking, and patient interaction for me to enjoy the experience.
The next day I decided I would go with a couple of students to the dragon castle to see the last weekend of the light show. We went straight after class to the tram to get there. This place is way outside of town right by the 7 hills. After seeing the light show with a friend I decided that I wanted to go home instead of go with him on the trams. I only did this because I had already had been to the castle and faintly remembered how to get home. I left him and began to walk in the direction of a train I remembered. I got to the train station and saw that the next train wouldn't come until 30 minutes. In that moment I decided that there was probably a quicker way home. So I continued walking in the direction of home until I saw a bus stop with a bus. I figured I would get on this bus and just get off when it starts going in the opposite direction of home and figure it out from there. I waited outside this bus for about 10 minutes. This bus driver would not let me in and the bus behind him wouldn't either. I asked a local near me why this was happening. However, the lady only spoke German and she made a look as if she didn't know why they wouldn't let anyone in. So I continued to walk on. I began to get teary eyed only because it was so dark outside and I would have a two hour walk home if I didn't get on something. A little while later I saw a tram station with tram numbers I recognized. I waited about 5 minutes and jump right on it. I got off at a tram station right before it crossed the river. I walked off the tram and landed in a scary bus stop. This bus stop had so many homeless, drunk, and drugged up people. I was so scared that I began to just walk around in circles around the bus stop to see which person I would ask for help. I didn't want to ask anyone to young or too old in fear they wouldn't speak English. I decided that I would ask a good looking 20 something year old male. Luckily he spoke perfect English and told me he was headed to Gielgen which was right by where I lived. He told me to go on bus 636 and get off at Gielgen and then got on 608 to Heidebergen where I lived. His instructions were so clear and accurate. When I got home I was so thankful for people in this country who could speak English and help me when I get lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment