Monday, March 18, 2019

Post Malone 10

Spring break  Week 10


After a long and dedicated first half of the semester, this week was much needed and appreciated.
All the studying for school definitely takes a toll on one’s mind and body, so it’s very important to relax
and unwind every once in a while. This week was full of unexpected surprises.

To begin, I’ll briefly speak of Tayio; a Deutsch handicapped 44 year old that lives on trains. I met him
as I was purchasing a ticket to Düsseldorf to catch a flight.~A side note- I was supposed to take a
Bla Bla car to the airport but it didn’t work out so I had to take the train. I wanted the Bla Bla car because
it was much cheaper and tends to be a way to meet other travelers. Funny how things worked out, huh?~


So while purchasing my ticket, homeboy walks up and offers me a deal to ride to the airport with him.
I won’t get into the details but he essentially had a special two-person ticket which I he offered me for
cheap (yet full profit for him). Gotta love Win-Win solutions. He rides the train every day around
Germany and does this for a living. A true fiend.

Initially “sketched out” by the situation, I went along with his conversation; which, by the way,
was in German. Tayio did not speak English. We waited for the train for 45 minutes and got to know
each other quite well. A real genuine guy. Occasionally we we couldn’t understand each other and just
laughed about it each time- then we would change the topic and continue conversing. I was quite
surprised we could converse for that long. Shout out to Hilde for teaching our German course so well.
Here’s a picture of Tayio:


Image 1- Selfie on the Train

Fast forward to when my plane lands in Thailand… what a change of scenery! I met up with
some old and new friends there and had a blast. What I’ll mention here about the trip is the absurd
amount of Germans in Thailand. I was constantly around Deutsch on their own vacations. It seems
to be the case that they pick this destination primarily for the warm weather.

One particular night I met some really cool Germans whom I’ve agreed to meet up with back in
Deutschland. I still don’t think my German is good but they were impressed by it and said they really
appreciate when non-natives try to immerse in their native tongue. I managed to crack a joke in German
and that’s when we we really clicked. Those subtle compliments and acts of appreciation are very
motivating to keep learning.

Once again, I’m writing this post on a window seat at night. Chill vibes up here; however, it’s time
go put the electronic devices up.

No comments:

Post a Comment