Saturday, March 9, 2019

Post Malone 8

Week 7

Alaaf!

I know what you must be thinking, and you are right.

This was the week...the week indeed. This week, I decided to step up my game. I decided there's no more time for foolish games or time wasted. What's the point of learning some material for school if you're going to forget it a week later? What's the point of buying a fresh Salvatore Ferragamo belt if you're going to lose it? I could go on, but the truth of the matter is that many things go on unnoticed and dwindle away into nothing if you do not make something out of them. Those things are therefore, wastes of valuable time.

Those who know me know that perhaps my greatest "pet peeve" is wasting time. And wasting time is something I want to continue avoiding in Deutschland. It's a good thing we took our last (and only) German exam this week because it made me realize that the German portion of our course had come to an end. As I was diligently reviewing my Anki cards for other material, I noticed the German deck I had created and how I had not touched it since our last exam. You see, the key to this flaschard software are that you must do them every day. "What's next for these German cards?"

I'll admit, I debating deleting them. We wouldn't really need them anymore, right? My grade in that course was fixed wether I did more cards or not. NEIN. I did the cards.

Later that night, Ina told me she hadn't made any food. So I helped her cook. Truthfully, I am a far better cook than Ina, but it's her house and her kitchen, so I let her take the "head chef" role. I performed all the dicing though because, well, I'm really good at it. This is important to note because it's what led to the game-changing moment of my semester. Reaching for the knife from the drawer, I instantly recalled the Anki flashcards I had done earlier in the day. (Messer- knife). I'll include a screenshot of the flashcard so you, my perhaps nonexistent reader, to see what I saw in my mind during this Deja Vu/epiphany moment:

Image 1- Game-Changing Flashcard


From that moment on, Ina and I only spoke in Deutsch. It's quite interesting. I did not tell her I wished to speak in only her native tongue; rather, she realized it's what I wanted. She realized I want to continue learning although none of it is for a grade now.

Our conversations have dwindled some, since I have less I can say. But, in a way, this drives me to improve. She still speaks to me and I've noticed that I am starting to understand more and more (albeit still little by little).

On another note, the parade was a lot of fun. Later that weekend, I had the pleasure of going to Amsterdam with Sean and Kevin. It was really great, here is a picture of a sculpture we saw in Amsterdam:

Image 2- Sculpture of Crushed up Wolskwagon into a Sphere

As for school, it is going swell. We are continuing our learning over the nervous system, which as I have stated before, I really enjoy. I am excited to continue learning and explore the rest of the biological intricacies underlying human function. Dr. Wasser is a great lecture. Spring break is coming up soon, Alaaf!


No comments:

Post a Comment