Wednesday, March 6, 2019

uniklinik & cologne!

This week was another normal week in Bonn. We had our regular classes and even had an extra day off because of the shadowing that we did at the uniklinik. On Wednesday all the engineers went to the clinic, and it was our turn on Thursday. It was a really great experience. I have done a lot of shadowing hours throughout college but this was my first time shadowing internationally. I did not notice any major differences right away. The doctors I interacted with were all very kind and the energy in the OR was lighthearted. They played music from a small radio which I thought was funny because it has been so long since I've seen an actual radio. The surgeries I watched were an arthroscopy, and rotator cuff repair, and a breast augmentation and liposuction. I enjoyed seeing all three of them because they were surgeries that I hadn't seen before. After the morning was done Sebastian, Joshua, and I were invited by the doctors to eat some of the soup in the physicians lounge, we felt very professional in our scrubs and enjoyed the soup. Afterwards, Joshua and I changed, but Sebastian could not remember where the changing room that he went to in the morning was. So this began our trek throughout the entire hospital. We took stairs and elevators and walked through practically every hallway. It was quite the hero's journey. An hour later we had successfully made our way to the bus stop and were headed back to the AIB. I really enjoyed this opportunity and it made me even more excited to start medical school in the fall.

That weekend I decided to take an easy trip to Cologne from Saturday to Sunday to visit my friend Matthieu that I had met last semester. He studies in Germany and was studying abroad last semester in College Station. I had a lot of fun hanging out with him and meeting his family. We went to the chocolate museum, explored some churches in downtown Cologne, and went to Dusseldorf on Sunday morning for Mass. It was such a fun and relaxing weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment