Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Surgeries and Sports

Posting a little late, but school's been a little crazy lately. This week sparked the beginning of our first round of tests this semester, so that also meant staying at the AIB super late multiple days. The main events of this week began with our presentations to Enmodes about our selected problems. I appreciate this project greatly, because it's forcing us to go outside our comfort zone and really get our feet wet in the development of an incredible device, but some of this stuff feels really above me. I don't do enough research for sure, but still everything I find is completely new to me, but of course learning these things is another part I like. Regardless, our presentation went well enough, and so did everyone else's, and soon we'll move forward with the project when we get our new team and start working on solutions. The next day, the engineers went to the Uniklinik to shadow surgeries, and that was an incredible experience. I'll lump it in with school because it's medicine related, but it really felt like a vacation. Ana and I got placed in orthopedic, and got to see a spine decompression, a bone spur taken out near the Achilles heel, and an ankle reconstruction. We were supposed to be shadowing the anesthesiologist, but the actual procedures were much cooler, and our anesthesiologist was a little intense. The main thing I got out of watching all the surgeries is that ortho is really brutal. Never before did I think I would see a man straight hammering a nail into a woman's back for her health or using power tools to take out a chunk of a man's ankle. It was truly entrancing. I don't think I want to be a surgeon but I certainly want to shadow again. Thursday was literally an all day study grind for about 12 hours, to prepare us for our graves that would be the BMEN 211 exam. I really thought I had a good bit of it down going into the exam but I tell you what, I apparently did not. Anyway, one failed exam down, and it was on to physiology and diffeq, and I suppose German.

Despite the horrid amount of time I spent at the AIB, I did manage to escape Friday night and on Saturday. Friday, A few of us made a trip across the river to the Drachenfels castle, where they were doing their light show for the last weekend. It turned out to be more of a modern art lights display, but it was still a castle, and was still very cool and a good bonding experience. Saturday, I managed to make it to Cologne for the FC Koln game. I've never been much of a soccer fan, and the high school games I went to when I was younger were pretty boring, but this was a completely different experience. The stadium was packed, and every single fan was incredibly into it. The atmosphere was just so engaging, and it didn't take long for me to get into it. I got some Kolsch and a wurst while I was there to really truly experience it, and now I'm a Koln fan through and through.


No comments:

Post a Comment