Monday, March 25, 2019

The beginning of spring break

Athens is definitely a more liberal place compared to Bonn Germany where I’ve been living. My first night in Athens I went to the city center were there seemed to be a protest. Since my friend really wanted to join the rally, I thought it would be smart if we knew what they were supporting. So, I asked a group of young people who were wearing I’ve crowns on their heads that matched some of the things in the rally. They spoke perfect English; however, when they told me what the celebration was I completely thought they were speaking another language. The man tells me it’s a celebration of men’s cocks. At this point I’m still confused so he begins to point to his crouch area and says “penis fest”. My face literally looked like I had just been hit by a car. I was just so flabbergasted that people celebrated men’s private parts. This made it very clear that I wasn’t from the area and came from an area that was more conservative. Even if I came from a conservative state like Texas still something didn’t make sense. Germany had already stop partying after Karneval ended for Ash Wednesday. Why hadn’t this Country also? My first thought was this country just wasn’t as conservative and strict as the Germans. My second thought was this area of Athens was so touristy that local Catholics were probably not around this area. However, after traveling a little more around the city on Sunday and everyone saying a local holiday on Monday would make most stores closed I decided to look into this local holiday. This holiday that would be on Monday was basically lent, so that day was the last day to party. So I expect to see less partying when I go back to Athens after travelling from the islands. 

Academically I’m so glad spring break is almost here. I can escape from my responsibilities for a little while. I might study for physiology but we will see. I have two exams, one for the lab and the other for class. Hopefully, I do better on these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment