Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Beligium: Flix Buses, Chocolate, and Waffles

Belgium was a wonderful experience! It was filled with yummy chocolate, has three official languages (and English is not one of them), and beautiful buildings. b

Brussels
Brussels was a wonderful city. It is home of the European Union and has many wonderful museums. I visited the Royal Museum of Fine Arts. I spent over 2 hours in there and I still did not want to leave. There were just so many beautiful paintings to see and so many rooms to where I was speed walking through some of the rooms at the end.
Brussels also has wonderful food. The first night I a vegan Moussaka dish that was delicious along with some fresh mint tea. I also loved a place called Bob's Burgers which had delicious sauces for their sandwiches and FRESH squeezed orange juice that tasted amazing! Of course, I also tried some Belgian waffles which are so fluffy and delicious even without toppings!
I also got to try something new and fun in Brussels. I got to ride a lime (motorized scooters) to get around. Although it was a very bumpy ride when on the cobblestones, it was so much faster than walking and super fun!

Bruges
We also took a day trip to Bruges which was absolutely lovely. The canals and parks were beautiful but my favorite part had to be when Sid and Josh performed for us next to Roman ruins in the basement of a hotel (don't worry we had permission to be down there).


Sadly, we had to go back to reality and our studies. But as we worked on 211 homework on the Flix  Bus, I couldn't help but smile on how great of a weekend it had been.

Travel Tips: Flix Bus Edition
We traveled on the Flix Bus to and from Brussels. It was an experience. Here are some words of advice. 
 1) Do not count on the overhead lights for doing homework in the dark. They usually do not work. You may have improvise with your phone. Josh invented an ingenious method of shining your phones flashlight through the cupholder on your notebook which is on your lap. This actually works quite well.
 2) It may get hot if the bus is very crowded. Wear layers that you can easily shed.
 3) Avoid using the bathroom at all costs! These toilets are smaller than airplane toilets and my head (I am 5' 4") was almost hitting the ceiling. Also, sometimes the driver will hit the brakes. Luckily, no one was in the bathroom when this happened but it would be very unfortunate if you were...

No comments:

Post a Comment