Monday, March 18, 2019

Espana: the country of my DREAMS, a true homecoming



This week was SPRING BREAK! I was so excited to see my family in Madrid. It was also really nice to not have to plan an entire nine day trip on my own; I had seen how stressful it was for the rest of the students on the program. On Saturday morning I took a train to Dusseldorf and hoped on my flight to Madrid. As soon as I sat on the airplane I knew how much I would love Spain. The entire flight briefing was in Spanish and I could have shed tears right then and there in my seat. It has been a challenge to be in Germany for so long without speaking the language, I had never experienced that before. Anyways, all the to say that I was overjoyed to be hearing people speaking in a language that I understood. 

I arrived to Madrid on Saturday and found my way to the hostel I was staying at for the night. I had decided to arrive about a day and a half before my family got there so I was going to have to find a place to stay for that night and find my way there on my own from the airport that is pretty far away from the city. I wouldn’t say I was a transportation expert, but I was pretty close. I had survived the transportation of a lot of big cities in Europe at this point, but this was going to be the first time I was trying to figure it out on my own. Even though it might not seem like such a big deal, but reflecting on how much I had already grown at this point in the semester in regards to public transportation was really cool. I think at the beginning I would not have even been willing to try and get to Madrid early because of the fear that I would get lost. 

I made it to the hostel okay and enjoyed that day exploring the city on my own! Even though traveling alone is not the safest thing in the world, I enjoyed the freedom of it so much, I could go anywhere or do anything that I wanted to do without having to make sure that the rest of my group was okay with it. I walked around a few of the plazas, went to go see a beautiful cathedral on the top of a hill, and grabbed some dinner. Unfortunately I was sick the moment I got to Spain until the last couple of days before I left. I really tried to not let my sickness hold me back, there’s nothing a little mucinex can’t cure. 

The next day I met my mom at the airport because her luggage hadn’t arrived on the plane. She had visited her best friend in Norway a few days before meeting me in Spain and her luggage didn’t make it. When we finally made it back to the city we waited for my dad and sister to arrive, which took a while because their flight had been delayed. Thankfully by Sunday night we were all together. 

During the week we saw lots of museums, palaces, and plazas. It was so fun traveling through Spain with my family. It was all of our first times in Spain, and I was excited to be experiencing it with them. We also traveling to Toledo and Barcelona during the week. We saw so much in the span of one week. This blog post is already getting pretty long, so I’m going to just add the video my sister made of our week which shows all of the highlights so you can see all of the awesome things we did!


https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rAXDPAMj1Fr08lshtA0KaSdDJMWnaXHL/view?usp=sharing


No comments:

Post a Comment