Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Sunlight + Warmth= Happiness


We landed in Greece on a sunny Sunday. As soon as I stepped out of the plane, I immediately regretted not bringing my shorts and swimming suit. It was warm and sunny and I was instantly super happy. I didn’t realize how much I missed this type of weather! We rented a car and drove down the highway to our hotel. The sky was bright and blue and I would have completely enjoyed the ride if I wasn’t stressed about it being my family's first time in Greece. I was the navigator. What if we made a wrong turn? What if we got robbed because we made a wrong turn? Don’t worry we made it to the hotel just fine and we had a beautiful view of the beach. 



After we got settled, we went to the beach where we basked in the sun and then ate gyros for dinner. 

The next day, we went to the acropolis. After we walked for a bit through neighborhoods trying to find our way to the acropolis, we joined the ever growing stream of tourist to its entrance. There we got our tickets and went on a tour of the building. The views were incredible and the architectural genius of the Parthenon was very impressive. For example, the columns were slightly offset and curved to where, when the sun shined through them, the lines would straighten and the columns would seem equally spaced apart.




The ground around the Parthenon was covered in patches of smooth and curved stone. These extremely smooth stone made it easy to slip on. It was like marble kitchen counters except full of dips and slopes. Many people slipped on the stones and there was one lady who fell down. So, I walked extremely carefully. 


After leaving the Acropolis, we headed down a busy tourist street full of vendors selling food and souvenirs that led to  the Acropolis museum. Once we arrived at the museum, we saw many artifacts and had a beautiful view of the Acropolis. We were then exhausted and somehow, made it back to the car (our phones were all on 1 %, no gps signal, or dead) and returned to the hotel for a good night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment