Monday, March 18, 2019

A walk to the river, a march in a parade, and a stroll along Belgian streets


Thanks to my one-second-a-day video and obsessive documentation habits, I can actually remember what happened since the week of Uniklinik, Drachenfels, and sunny days spent studying (the last time I wrote my blog).

After we did Chi Gong and I wrote my post on Monday, I took my math test- which could have gone well, but probably didn’t. I brushed it off. The next day was spent studying for the next test. Then all day after that. Before the engineers took the physiology test, Ryan Blanchard invited anyone to walk along the Rhine with him to relax before the test. I thought it was a great idea and soon the whole classroom stood up to walk outside. It was a beautiful day. We walked up to the top of the viewpoint near AIB and watched the water run past us. It was the calmest and happiest I had felt all day. Although the test could have gone better, it was alright. The torture was over. We went out to get ice cream and I went home to rest.


Finally- it was Karneval. Ana and I took the 7:50 bus and were the last to reach New AIB. Somehow, Masha and Adriana were able to fit that tiny wig over my mane (the first time I’ve ever worn a wig) and I unexpectedly love how I look in blue. That day was amazing. Walking in the parade while the children called out to us for candy was precious. I even saw the family that I stayed with when I had to evacuate for the WWII bomb.


The next day, I relaxed until it was time for my host mom and I to drive to Brussels together. I spent the day resting and running and showering and studying. It was around 6:30 pm when we got in the car. I had planned to write an essay while in the car, but my host mom makes such good conversation. I told her how I was having trouble making lasting friendships and she gave great advice. I started to truly feel like she was my mom. We spent the entire three hours talking about this and that and family and friends and love and life and death.

When we arrived at my hostel, I met the boys at a bar and we talked for a while. We woke up the next morning to get to Bruges, a quaint and beautiful town. It was peaceful and easy on the eyes- though the weather wasn’t great. I would have loved to bike around, but shops were closed due to rain. We got back to Brussels around 8 and the boys were more tired than they were hungry, so we went back to the hostel to rest. I went to my separate room (I had booked the hostel a bit late) and wrote in my journal until my roommates came home. They consisted of 4 male college students from the US studying abroad in Ireland. They were very friendly and suggested some places in Brussels to see. At around 11:30, Katarina and I finally had dinner together at a DELICIOUS burger restaurant. We talked and got to know each other- my favorite thing to do on this trip. When we got home, I was exhausted and although I wanted to see Brussels night life, I went straight to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment