Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring Break: Barcelona Adventures


Well, spring break has come to an end and once again we have been thrown into the thick of things.  Coming into the AIB building this morning and seeing Joanna sitting at the table like normal made me so overjoyed to be back that I gave her a huge hug, which I think surprised her.  It feels like forever since we have been back at AIB, but in reality is was just a week ago.  Spring break was the perfect mix of relaxing and touring, as I spent the entire time in Barcelona seeing the sights and enjoying the beautiful sunny weather.  

Man there is so much to tell I do not even know where to begin!  I did a lot of touring around seeing the sights, went for runs on the beach with Kathryn in the mornings, took a daytrip to the nearby town of Terragona, saw some awesomely breathtaking views, enjoyed the fantastic weather and somehow managed to spend all of the money I had brought with me.  I guess I will just go day by day and try to give a short recount of the major happenings throughout the week.  We arrived midday on Saturday, checked into our apartment, went crazy taking pictures of Las Ramblas, and ate Tapas for dinner.   Another thing I get to cross off of my trip bucket list!  Las Ramblas was a sight to see, which lots of open air shops and living statues, but my favorite part was probably La Boqueria, a gigantic open air market located off of the side of the street.  There were vendors selling everything from fruit and produce to whole pig legs (hooves still attached) and octopus.  It was a bit overwhelming and after seeing fresh cuts of meat and seafood dangling everywhere I seriously considered becoming vegetarian.  I would much prefer the food I eat not to resemble the animal it came from, thank you very much.  I especially do not like it when the fish’s eyes stare back at me when I go to eat it.  After dinner we tried the gelato, which in my opinion pales in comparison to the gelato in Italy.

Our second day was declared a beach day.  Although only Seth got in the water (it was freezing!) we spent most of the day lounging in the sun and playing soccer.  On the way home that night I had a delicious ham and cheese crepe which I am seriously considering making in lieu of grilled cheese when I return to the states.  The third day some of us paid a visit to the Sagrada Familia, a gigantic cathedral designed by Gaudi.  It was of course not nearly as tall as the one in Köln, but it was still a sight to see.  The outside was unique, but the inside was breathtaking.  The concrete structure seemed light and airy, and the columns and stained glass windows made you feel as if you were in a forest.  It was not at all what I was expecting, but I am very glad I paid the money to go inside and see the church.  It was around in here where I discovered I suck at haggling with street vendors.  That night Kathryn and I tried Churros, which are a bit like chocolate dipped funnel cake.  They were deliciously warm and sugary.  The perfect nighttime snack.

The fourth day, after a nice run on the beach (have to work off all of the chocolate you know), four of us set out for a day trip to Terragona.  This is a small town south of Barcelona that is home to a bunch of Roman ruins.  The town was gorgeous.  It was right on the ocean and that combined with sunshine and picturesque views from the top of the ruins made the day trip one of the favorite things we did on the trip.  This day was also the day that Kathryn and I learned that there is such a thing as too much Nutella.  Shocking, I know, but believe me when I say you do not want to figure this out the hard way.



The fifth day we moved to another apartment (we had two different places booked) and then paid a visit to the Picasso museum.  The museum housed a lot of his earlier art which allowed us to see how his style developed.  I really enjoyed seeing the influences of Velasquez and other artists in Picasso’s work, and also the fact that the museum had things written in English.  Kathryn and I had the idea that we were going to go for a run on the beach and watch the sun go down, but right at the moment we set foot out the door a thick fog rolled in.  We still ran in it, which actually turned out to be really cool.  There were few people out on the beach and the fog made the water change from sky blue to a dark grey, which made for some neat pictures.

The sixth day Kathryn and I visited the Sant Maria del Mar cathedral where I lit another candle for Grandbob.  I was interested by the fact that the church was built right into the city.  It seems like in other cities we have visited, like Köln, the cathedrals tower over everything and stand apart from the houses.  Here, the church was so close to everything you couldn’t even get far enough away to take a picture of the entire building.  I really enjoyed looking at the different architectural style and comparing to the other cathedrals that I have seen on the trip.  After the church we met up with some more of the group to hike up Montjuic, a mountain just on the edge of Barcelona.  We did not have a set plan, and just took our time wandering around past palaces, gardens, the Olympic stadium, and finally to the castle on top of the hill.  There we were greeted with a huge cannon and a spectacular view of the city.  It was perfect weather for hiking, and I was even able to wear short sleeves!


This is one of my favorite pictures of the trip


The seventh day was our last full day in Barcelona.  Kathryn and I took a long run in the morning to get all hot and sweaty, and then on the count of three ran into the sea.  It was freezing cold, and locals laughed at us as we both did a face plant in the water.  It was so much fun though, and nice and refreshing.  We spent the next two hours laying in the sun on the beach and then ran back to shower and meet up with the rest of the group.  BEST MORNING RUN EVER!  That afternoon Kathryn, Andrea, and I paid a visit to Park Guell which was also designed by Gaudi.  The park was not what I expected.  It was huge! Paths wound up and down the sides of the mountain, accented by unique architecture and buildings.  After taking a bunch of pictures and walking around some we headed back to the apartment to celebrate Katie’s birthday with some cake. 

Unfortunately the eighth day we had to catch our plane back to Bonn.  I think all of us wished we could have stayed longer, but I am happy that I was able to see everything that I wanted to.  It was tempting to think that we should have studied abroad in Spain instead, but I realized that despite the preferable weather I actually missed Germany.  Sure it is dreary and cold most of the time (or it has been up until this week), but you can’t beat the bakeries on every corner and the unique German culture.

So that sums up my week in Barcelona.  I am glad I got to experience some sunshine and make use of my Spanish, but now I have to change gears and throw myself into preparation for the Biomechanics test this Friday. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment