Monday, March 26, 2012

Italy Gelato Withdrawals

When I last wrote a blog, during Spring Break, I was eating gelato about 2-3 times each day in Italy. The ice cream was so good we all just couldn't resist! We knew our gelateria-down-each-block-days would soon come to an end, so we tried to enjoy as much as we could. Now, we're suffering the consequences. I miss you so much gelato!

Anyway, moving on from that sad love story, I have to talk about our days in Florence and Venice since I already wrote about Rome. Although Rome was such an awesome city with never-ending things to see, I absolutely loved Florence and Venice! I have to admit Venice, although being a smaller city, was my favorite.

Our first days in Florence we ate gelato, ate delicious food like every other day in Italy, and actually got to go running! Since I officially signed up for the marathon right before leaving to Spring Break, I really needed the training. Edgar and I went for a run in the morning and found a nice park by the river. We also got a chance to get our one fancy dinner of the trip! That was probably the best food I've had the whole semester. Also, we all hiked our way up to get some nice views of the entire city.

In Florence, we also went on the best tour of this trip. The day tour took us to Siena, San Gimignano, and Pisa. The tour lady in Siena was hilarious! Of course, the lunch in San Gimignano was everyone's favorite part of the tour. The food was amazing and being able to try 4 different wines throughout the meal was an added bonus. The view outside the window while eating lunch also added to this wonderful experience. In Pisa, we only had about an hour to wander around the city, but did get to find Galileo's house and take a picture with the Leaning Tower!

After 2 days in Florence we headed to Venice. The island is so beautiful! There's no way to describe it fully and the pictures just don't do it justice. Definitely a MUST-SEE. Everything in Venice is by water; including the ambulance which was cool. After walking from one side of the island to the other sight-seeing we would always head back on the water bus exhausted. The weather during Spring Break was great and in Venice a little chilly, but still nice enough to make the days beautiful. Austin, Yesenia, Edgar and I also went on a gondola ride! I couldn't leave Venice without one and I'm glad because we can all agree it was worth it.


Besides the river and bridges everywhere in Venice, glass was another main topic found anywhere you turned. They have a glass factory there and I think this is where we all ran out of money. We actually got the chance to see the man in action making the glass which was crazy cool. The small hand-made glass items were incredible and there were so many souvenirs to be bought.









Our last day in Venice (and for Spring Break) we walked around once more and relaxed by a park we found. The weather, view, and kids playing soccer all just added to a relaxing way to end this amazing trip. Now I can only hope to go back one day!

Tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment