Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bioethics, Anesthesiology, and nice weather

On Saturday when I got back from the Spring Break trip, the weather was surprisingly wonderful, so after dropping off my stuff I wandered around town, enjoying the warmth. Luckily the nice weather continued most of the week. On Sunday, at my host mom's suggestion, I went to see a movie, Die Eiserne Lady, which was in English with German subtitles. It was an interesting experience to go to the movie theater in Beuel, the Film Bühne, and I really liked the movie. (This turned out to be good practice for going to see The Hunger Games later in the week, but more about that later.)

On Monday we had to return to class after the break, and that afternoon we had a guest lecturer, Dr. Dirk Lanzerath, who talked about bioethics. For an example he focused on embryonic stem cell research since that has been such a big issue. I liked the fact that he represented all sides of the argument equally and presented the facts so there could be intelligent debate, and he did not imply that any side of the argument was wrong.

Unfortunately, on Wednesday there was another bus strike, which made transportation difficult and caused our trip to the Museum for the History of Anesthesia to be moved to Thursday. According to my host mom, there is not normally more than one strike, so apparently we are just especially unlucky. Last time I was able to ride the bike of my host sister, Janika, but this time she needed it, so I was left to riding the 529 bus, which luckily was still running since it is technically not a Bonn bus but a Siegburg bus (I think). On the down side, since everyone in my area was forced to ride this bus if they did not have a bike or car, it was a bit crowded and was running very late throughout the day.

On Thursday we had our promised trip to the Museum for the History of Anesthesia. My favorite parts were the old drugs and the machines they used before everything was electronic. My grandfather was an anesthesiologist so it was fun to guess which machines he probably used. I also really enjoyed the story Dr. Stöckel told us about when he and the nurses saved a patient while all the doctors were away for the weekend (I think he said he was an intern or something like that at the time).


mandrake!



early versions of modern drugs







early ventilator/respirator systems

No comments:

Post a Comment