Thursday, March 29, 2012

Roentgen Museum

This week has been pretty sunny. Until today. Super lame. Anyways yesterday I spent the greater part of the day in Remscheid! I got there
at 9 and found my way to the Roentgen Museum but it was closed until 10. Hoping that something would be open in the old city center I walked around but everything was closed until 10 as well except for the little market. When the museum finally opened I saw someone sitting at desk and so I tried to open the door but it was locked. I looked to the side and there was a switch that looked like it would be for the door but there was a big red X next to it, and above there was a button which allowed you to speak with someone inside. Thanks to my extensive German vocabulary, I decided against trying to talk to someone so I just stood outside until the lady opened the door for me. Herr Dr. Busch showed up a little bit afterwords and he gave me an introduction to the museum and a short history of Roentgen. So
apparently the idea for the museum came up before WWI and they were planning to put it in either Berlin or Munich. After the first world war there wasn't much money left and they were putting a memorial in Remscheid to Roentgen so they decided to place the museum there! They bought the house from a family that was moving to Cologne since Roentgen's birth house was being occupied by a bakery and that was the start of the museum. Walking through with an audioguide I thought the museum was going to be something small but I stayed for about 4 hours and ended up rushing somethings. This was probably the coolest museum I've been to. It was so interactive and there was an electronic pinball machine with a high score of 470000 made 2 years ago by a 10 year old, a model of the experiment Roentgen used to study X-rays, and 3 different machines that took "x-rays" of your feet, hands, and head. Before I leave it would be neat to go back and try to beat that high score.

No comments:

Post a Comment