Sunday, March 25, 2012

Adjusting and Changing, it ain't All That Bad. A Half Way Blog.

We are now a little past the half way point of our trip. I can't believe it. So much has happened already, that it feels like I've lived through an entire school year, not two months. I feel exponentially wiser (thanks for the vocab Math 308) and more balanced, like a sinusoidal wave (thanks again, Math). Wiser, as evidenced by my new understanding of the German people, public transportation, time management, and most importantly, my outlook on life, which could be connected to that whole balance thing.

I understand German people much more now, even though I still can't speak their language. I have learned that an estimated 30 minute transit time is not a big waste of time, but a prime opportunity to read a book. Time used to throw me about like a galley at sea, but now I've gained more control of future tides, or at least can anticipate them better (thanks Dr. Moore). Finally, I need to stop worrying about what I am going to do after college, where I will work, and what I will be doing, because I honestly do not know right now. I was not sure that I would be here in September. In my mind, I wanted to work over the summer and join organizations, both of which required me to be in College Station the whole year, but my heart yearned to travel to distant countries and experience new things. I'm glad I listened to my heart, or instinct, as I know that I would have hated working over the summer and I would probably be sorely disappointed in myself if I were in College Station right now. I had to make some sacrifices to come here, but in retrospect, I am very glad that I made those sacrifices, very glad.

Being a Biomedical Engineer, though, has insured that this trip was not too rosy and carefree, which is good, as life is not like that. At first, as is evident by my previous blog posts, I was very angry, or flustered, with the amount of work that we had to do with the arrival of Dr. Moore, but I see it as a blessing now. Having the most amount of work possible in such a short amount of time helped me to realize some of the fore mentioned epiphanies, such as time management. I know that these tribulations will help build a fortitude within myself that will last longer than a grade on an exam or an out of the way and inconvenient trip to McFit(more on that gym later, it's not bad but it's more of a hassle than I thought it would be). So, instead of feeling flustered and hopeless, as I did two weeks ago, I now feel like I know what I have to do and that I have the capability of doing it.

Also, I need to thank everyone in this group. We really have an excellent group of Biomedical students, which has made this trip even better. I'm pretty sure we can all depend on one another for one thing or another, whether that's help on homework or bailing you out because some Irish guys are about to be really angry with you. We have learned to support one another.

Finally, I'm glad I've come here because I now realize that I love travelling and I hope that wherever I end up working or whatever I end up doing after I graduate, it will allow me to travel a lot and let me meet new people. I always like travelling when I was younger, from the airports to the actual countries that I saw, and I think this trip has affirmed my love of travel, something that I sincerely hope to do later in life.

Sorry for no pictures, as my camera is kaput. Bis bald!
(Insert cute picture of the group here.)

Also, it's a bit weird that whenever we return to Bonn it feels like we are arriving home again, just saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment