Sunday, March 25, 2012

Grenoble Spring Break 2


I arrived in Grenoble, pronounced (CRE-KNOW-BLUH), The virws in this city are absolutely spectacular. On three sides are the Alpes, and the Isere river runs right through the city. It was very picturesque. My roommate is studying abroad in Grenoble, so that is why I decided to take a visit. While we were there we went to the Chartreuse distillery. A l

ittle about Chartreuse, it is a liquor that is made of 120 plants and herbs, it comes in either green or yellow, the green has a stronger percent of alcohol. But Chartreuse is very interesting. It is only made in Voiron, and Chartreuse monks make it. Only the monks know the recipe, and the do not show the recipe to anybody. I believe the whole mystery of Chartreuse is what makes it all the more interesting. Supposedly it is Quentin Tarrentino’s favorite drink, and I remember it being mentioned in “The Great Gatsby”. The distillery is also home to the longest cellar in the world, and it hosted the Olympic dinner when the winter Olympics were held in Grenoble. The next day, Lisa, her friend Alan and I went skiing in the Alpes. This was SO AMAZING!! I would have never thought that I would go skiing in the alpes, but it actually happened! We went skiing on the mountain Chamrousse. It is in the Belledonne mountain chain of the Alpes. The weather couldn’t have been any more perfect. While on the mountain we had the Chartreuse with hot chocolate, which was pretty incredible! It was a great drink to have after a hard day of skiing. In Grenoble I had some pretty great food. My favorite being Gratin Dauphinois. This has gratin potatoes that are baked with garlic, salt, pepper, and cream. Simple ingredients, but definitely tasty food. This trip to Barcelona and Grenoble made my spring break unforgettable. It was an opportunity of a lifetime and I am glad that I jumped on it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment