Friday, March 2, 2012

So THIS is Why it's Called a Study Abroad Program

So much work! Granted, hard work is not a new concept to biomedical engineering majors (or any of the bioscience students on this trip), Germany just presented such a beguiling face that I think I forgot how hard college semesters can be. This trip definitely embodies a compromise between scholastics and the wonders of being abroad. Being here is absolutely wonderful; all you have to do is go back a week and remember all the amazing things we saw in Vienna. Still, I am in the smallish group of students who just began two new classes with Dr. Moore, and it's intense. I understand that it's definitely a trade-off, with us having enjoyed a lighter work load this past month and a half. However, after a week of having twice the normal work load in classes like biomechanics and differential equations, I'm having a hard time keeping a positive outlook for the rest of this course-crammed semester. All of this on top of our first physiology test, and this week definitely put the "study" in "study abroad". There was a silver lining on this week's studious endeavors, and it came in came in the form of AIB late-night study sessions. If you've never witnessed a bunch of physiology students hyped up on caffeinated beverages, nutella, junk food and a touch of anxiety alternating between serious study sessions, heated discussions concerning absurdly obscure physiological nuances, and short (but furious) bouts of ping pong, then you're missing out. I actually had a lot of laughs, and since I had to study, it was nice to do it with a little company.

The only real touristy thing that we've done this week was visit the Beethoven Haus, but I'm pretty sure I've mentioned in a previous blog post that Andrea and I had visited there before when her grandparents were in town. Last time we did a self-tour with audio-guides, so it was nice this time to have a tour guide who was really knowledgeable about the house and its contents. There was a bit of unavoidable repetition, but it wasn't bad. I also recently rediscovered some postcards in my backpack that I have been meaning to send for about a month now. Anyway, my apologies back home- hopefully I'll get them sent soon and they'll reach Texas before I do. Tchüss!

http://images.borders.com.au/images/bau/97814419/9781441923189/0/0/plain/an-introduction-to-biomechanics.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment