Saturday, March 31, 2012

Now I know why I packed that bike tool

This week would have been one of the most laid back weeks I've had in Germany so far if I wasn't having to stress out about the upcoming physiology exam and all the various projects I have on my plate. Only having class on two days out of the week was still quite the blessing and I feel well rested for the first time in a long while.
The past few days weren't all sleep and studying though; I went out with my host brother and some of his visiting friends twice this week, which was a first. Germans and Americans behave pretty much the same in a bar, lots of laughing and carrying on. The conversations naturally turned to politics and which country does it better. My host brother still doesn't quite grasp what exactly the supreme court does, but I'm pretty sure no one completely understands American politics or the motives of American politicians. I was very happy to learn how closely they have been following the election but I felt pretty ignorant when I could barely name any of their major political players or parties. If you plan on visiting another country any time soon and feel like you might be there long enough to argue about politics with the locals, which could be anywhere from 2 months to an hour depending on what kind of person you are, catching up on the local goings-on is essential. They really appreciate when you take the time out to brush up on the things they consider important and it leads to some great discussions. It should also be noted that the Germans take partying seriously, my host brother tried to lure me out for a third night of festivities that probably would have lasted well into the stranger hours of the night, so be prepared.
Now for the most fun I've had since Barcelona: our bike tour to Remagen. I have been more or less intending to buy a bike since the day I got here but I can't keep myself from spending money on various non-essentials like food and soap. I rode my bike every day back in College Station. If you have seen me on campus you've probably either seen be riding my bike, working
on my bike, locking up my bike, or carrying it to and from my dorm room so it doesn't have to brave the elements, you may have also seen me in class. My old Novara is my baby and I have been missing her quite a bit. Taking bikes to Remagen was a nice break from walking or riding in crowded trams. If any of you saw Cameron and I getting sideways in the mud and gravel you could have seen that I was having way too much fun. When I was packing for this trip I kind of just grabbed my bike tool out of habit; I have three and one of them is always on me. I'm glad I brought it though because otherwise Candy would probably still be stuck along the Rhine (sorry I wasn't there to fix it on the way back). Even though it was cold and wet the whole way there I still had a blast.
Touring the peace museum was a little more serious than I had originally expected for an activity taking place on a Friday afternoon out, but I still really enjoyed it. Having the previous Mayor of Remagen talk to us about the events that had taken place there during WWII and the effects that they had was really incredible. To be honest I wasn't even aware that the bridge existed until I was told that we were going to visit but I think it will be hard to forget about it now.
On a rather disappointing note I discovered that my posts on this blog from the past month haven't shown up after having fiddled with my account for hours trying to get my post to show up on the Bioengineering blog . I can't seem to find them but I am still on the hunt and I may just have to rewrite them in the end. Computers break down in Germany too it would seem. I apologize in advance for the coming anachronisms.

Tchuss

No comments:

Post a Comment