Sunday, March 11, 2012

...Break is Just Beginning!

Today we finally made our way to the Colosseum! Getting around Rome is super easy. I don't know if it's because we are used to traveling by now or because the city is used to tourism, but we haven't had any trouble making our way around.

We got a tour of the Colosseum and I loved picturing what it used to look like back in the day. Apparently the entire building inside used to be covered all in marble and hearing all the different stories about the gladiators made me wish I could build a time machine. I also was surprised to hear that it only held 50,000 people while the population in the city was about a million. Since the seats were limited, the "sport" probably seemed that more exciting.

The tour also led us to some ruins of old palaces and we got really nice views of the city. Afterwards, we roamed around and visited the Fountain di Trevi. There were so many people everywhere that cars could not pass on those streets. No worries though, I did get to throw my coin in the fountain and make a wish.

Right before we were going to make our way back to the hostel, we saw an artist on the street drawing portraits of people. His price was low and negotiable, so Edgar and I decided to get one while the guys were busy buying lasers. The man started drawing me first with a simple sketching pencil. I couldn't see what he was doing, but by the looks of everyone and random people passing by I knew it was either really good or really bad. People would stop by and just stare at me; comparing the two I assume. I decided things were probably looking good when a couple stared, smiled and nodded, then took a picture and left. He only took about fifteen minutes max to finish this portrait and start drawing Edgar. I think the drawing made us look about ten years older, but I can't deny it was ridiculously good for the time and price. Also, the hair looked way better than how mine truly is.. thanks guy.

Until next week,

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment