Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Experience With Socialized Medicine


I was finally able to see a doctor for my knee on Friday. AIB organized the appointment and had a student worker come with me, who helped out quite a bit when trying to find our way to the office and when talking to the receptionist. The doctor seemed like one of the most knowledgeable persons in his field and was willing to take the time to explain his opinion of the problem and to make sure that I was taken care of. There is one thing that really shocked me about the whole socialized medicine system.

Within 5 minutes of getting to the office, filing out the paperwork, and telling them I was paying with private insurance, I had bypassed the line and was already talking to the doctor. After spending 15 minutes with him, he gave me a note to get an X-ray done on the bottom floor. Again, bypassed the 20 or so people waiting, as soon as I got off the elevator, I had the X-ray done and was back with my doctor. I was in and out of the office in under an hour. The other people in the first waiting room would be there for at least an hour or so before even seeing the doctor in the first place. Its situations like this that really brings to light the problems with socialized healthcare. I felt like I was breaking the rules when I was placed as a higher priority because of my different insurance. Yes, all of those people would be seen by the doctor and they would all receive equal care, but why should I be allowed to receive the treatment that I did… No system is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment