Thursday, February 27, 2020

Wiener

After a regular day of classes Monday we began our exciting trip to Wein (Vienna) very early Tuesday morning. Almost too early I would say, as I overslept my alarms and had to get my host Mom to take me by car to the tram stop (Sorry Bibiana). But in the end our trip began with a long train ride. After getting settled in the hotel we started by visiting St. Micheals Church, or more specifically the crypt where we saw a bunch of dead people, quite the unique introduction to the city. Afterwards however we headed to the Goulash Museum which showed us the exquisite taste of a good goulash. P.S how am I expected to go back to regular American food after I’ve been shown the light, I believe it’s impossible. After a long rest we woke the next day to a tour of Wien medical history by doctor Schnabel, a ridiculously old plague doctor who made us drink young boy pee to protect us from the Black Plague I’m not sure if it really was pee, I don’t particularly want to know. After Kaffee und Kuchen at Café Demel (minus the coffee) we relaxed back at the hotel (sadly that means hw time). To end the day we went ice skating in front of the City hall, and I must say for being a Texan and being only my second time skating, I’m happy I only fell on my face once :) That is by far the biggest ice rink/ice course I’ve ever seen, I would never of imagined a second floor to an ice rink. The day after our night of skating we began by visiting the Narrenturm which used to be an insane asylum, but now holds a huge collection of anatomy pieces. Many of the pieces were disgusting in there realism, and as a BMEN student they were fascinating to see. After a brief look into Sigmund Freud’s house we finished our day with a classical music concert in the Beautiful St. Anna’s church and the best Wiener Schnitzel I’ve ever had. And unfortunately our time was quickly coming to an end, on Friday morning we visited the natural history museum and then wandered through town before catching our train to Prague, but I’ll save that for its own post, Wien was a great trip and filled with fun times with friends. I would love to go back again sometime and see more of the city and learn more about the great Austria-Hungarian Empire, and also eat more delicious food, let’s be honest food is the priority in all cases :)

No comments:

Post a Comment