Thursday, February 13, 2020

Week 4: "Miles from Budapest"

So this week we went on our first excursion to Wien in Austria. The city was very different from what I expected but it was really amazing to see and also let me emphasize this, cold. Luckily AIB put us up in a nice hotel with great heating, the warmest I've been since we got to Europe, and great service. I enjoyed all the cool tours we took during the week particularly Dr. Schnovel's , I think I spelled that right, tour of Wien during the plague. The crypt was spooky but I had fun scaring Langley and Kait who were very easily frightened. The Gulasch Museum was a wonderful dinner for our first night in the city. On Wednesday some of us went to the ice skating rink which was a blast. Literally the biggest ice skating rink I've been to it had little trails running through the park with trees lit up like it was Christmas, that was probably my favorite part of Vienna. The Fool's Tower on Thursday was a little more grotesque than I was expecting but it was very educational and really shows how far medicine has come over the centuries. It was fun getting to dress up for the orchestra concert and hear a little cultural music. I also enjoyed trying some authentic Wien Schnitzel. On Friday we saw the biggest museum I've ever been to, which is now my favorite by far. The Natural History Museum in Wien had some of the largest collections I've ever seen they must've had every animal you could think of and the largest rocks and minerals collection I've ever seen. After the museum I spent the day waiting on the bus to Budapest which was not the most comfortable way to get there but it was cheap. It was not fun searching through Budapest at night to find the Airbnb but it was well worth it because that was a very nice Airbnb and I think that was the best place I've stayed so far while we've been traveling. Budapest itself was incredible we spent Saturday at the thermal baths which were soooo relaxing and then took a boat cruise on the Dunabe that night which was a very memorable experience. Getting our flight back cancelled was actually a huge break because we got to see so much more of the city and Kevin and I got to cook breakfast for a second time for our Budapest group so if I just block out the fact that I have 211 homework this past week was a great time!


  









No comments:

Post a Comment