Monday, February 10, 2020

Bonn Week 4

Vienna and Prague week!!
I cannot even express how much fun this week was. It was pretty crazy that we only had one lecture the whole time, but both cities were so beautiful, and I loved both of them. Waking up on Tuesday morning to go to Vienna was a little difficult and the train ride was long, but it was such a cool city that I didn't mind at all. The museums in Vienna were definitely my favorite part, as well as the food. Natural history museums have always been my favorite, and this one definitely did not disappoint. I could've spent the whole day there. I didn't know what to expect from the museum of pathology, but it was way cooler than I thought it would be; it was absolutely some of the most disgusting stuff I'd ever seen, but also some of the most interesting. I understand why we couldn't take pictures and I honestly don't know if that's really the content I want in my camera roll, but still. The Freud museum wasn't the most interesting, but Dr. Wasser's lecture was super interesting, and I bought my parents a couple books and postcards since they're both into psychology these days and I thought they might like them. Dr. Wasser's tour of the city was, as always, so jam-packed with information that I feel like some of it has to be ad-libbed, but he's actually just that smart.
Rooming with Dany and Bri was a really good setup, and I wish Dany and I hadn't already signed a lease so we could live with Bri too. We went out to a couple bars over the week and met a bunch of Austrians who took us to a club one night, and it was a really authentic and exciting night; most of my experience so far has been with the other people in the program, so it was super cool to meet locals and have them invite us out.
The goulash night was kind of a bummer because I wasn't super comfortable with half of my friends eating horse meat and talking about it, but it was the first time I've understood how my vegetarian sister feels when people around her eat meat, so it wasn't an entirely bad thing; discomfort breeds growth, I guess.
I really couldn't believe that Enrique's wallet showed up in Vienna while we were there. I figured it had been stolen when he lost it on the train, so it was crazy to find out that it was in the same city and country as we were with the money in it! Unfortunately, bureaucracy is bureaucracy, and it's even more frustrating with a language barrier, so I really didn't envy Enrique while he was dealing with the woman working there, or the woman for having to deal with us.
Leaving Vienna was a bummer because I loved being in that city, but Prague was also a really fun trip. It's the first time that our little group has gone on a trip together, and I loved it. Usually, travel can be a little bit frustrating after a few days when I inevitably get tired of not having any space to be alone, but I didn't feel that at all on this trip. Our Airbnb was pretty nice, and it was fun to hang out there and get to know each other better. We went to lots of museums and had a really good time walking around the city and seeing landmarks like the Astrological Clock and the castle (and Dany got her crepe fix!). I felt a little sick on Sunday so my friends indulged me (because they're very good people) and we got pho for dinner, which I miss anytime I'm not in Dallas, so it was really nice. I'm a little bit thankful that our train got cancelled and we got to spend an extra day there.
I love everything about being here.







No comments:

Post a Comment