Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Remagen

Unfortunately, I have fallen very far behind on the blog. The problem was I got a little more behind than usual because of a test, and then I was too embarrassed to try and catch up because it just reminded me how far behind I was. Finally I realized this problem wouldn't just go away, so I had better just get down to business.

On Friday, March 30 we had the bike tour to Remagen. One of my favorite parts was being able to view the scenery while enjoying riding a bike, which I have not gotten to do a whole lot of here besides the occasional bus strike, and I have missed it. When we finally got to Remagen, after lunch we went to the Peace Museum. I really liked hearing Mr. Kürten tell all those stories about people who had been at the bridge. It wasn't like sitting in a history class, it was like listening to story time. It also made me want to go watch some of the movies which he mentioned. Another thing that really struck me was when he said a lot of the people who suffer are civilians, so it is “not correct to make war,” and instead we should make peace. On the way back, we were given the choice of riding the bikes back or taking a train, and several of us weren't ready to give up the bikes yet, so we rode back.

Unfortunately most of the rest of the weekend was taken up with studying and working on projects and homework, which managed to extend itself into the week. The only thing that made the next week unusual was the fact that my host family went on a skiing trip to Switzerland, so I was all alone in the house. I won't lie, the first night it felt very odd, and I might have been a little nervous to be all alone, but after that I adjusted and it was fine. I even enjoyed fixing dinner for myself.



Part of the list of wars that have occurred since World War II



Peace Museum: outside







skipping stones while stopping for a picnic

No comments:

Post a Comment