Monday, April 2, 2012

2 Host Families!

Went on a junk-food shopping spree with my host family!
Who is cool enough to have two host families? This girl right here! Before arriving in Germany or even before receiving the host family information, I already knew who I would be living with. Last semester my sister, Isabel, studied abroad here in Bonn with the architecture program. She lived with the host coordinator, Hilde Koch and her family. They enjoyed having my sister so much they agreed to take me in this semester. Of course, things don't always go as planned.

A few weeks before I arrived in Germany, I received an email from Hilde explaining that she would not be able to take me in because of work. With the addition of new programs and other things she just wouldn't have the time. Therefore, she had asked her friends, the Sohler-Sanchez family, if they would take me in. They've had many students throughout the years and always enjoy taking in Spanish-speaking girls to practice Spanish and English with their daughters.

My two months with the Sohler-Sanchez were nice and I feel very fortunate to have gotten a chance to live with them. Also, I liked being able to speak Spanish with them just like I do back home. Unfortunately, their plans changed when a French-exchange student, who was supposed to come next semester, decided it would be best for her to come for the months of April and May. After discussing things with Hilde and I, we all decided the best thing would be for me to move with the Koch family for my last 5-6 weeks.

Hilde and Charlotte serving a glass of champagne for Charlotte's birthday!
The move was very fast, but I don't think it was a bad decision. Since I moved in Thursday, I realized this was a great way to end the semester. Hilde's daughter, Charlotte, is my age and we have instantly gotten along. They're hilarious and remind me of my own family back home. I don't know if it's because they knew my sister or just because they're cool, but I feel like I have been living here longer than just this past weekend. Whatever it is, I'm excited for what's to come and my second host family!

(Week of March 26)

No comments:

Post a Comment