Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bayer, Neanderthal Museum, and nerdy t.v. shows

After Easter, I mostly focused on studying for the upcoming physiology test, but we also had an excursion to Bayer and the Neanderthal Museum which was very interesting. I think my favorite part of seeing the Bayer company was learning about all the other things Bayer makes besides aspirin, and learning a little of the history, like how they actually started the company making dyes; I also really liked looking at all the factories and seeing the robots package the medicine. As for the Neanderthal Museum, I wasn't expecting to like it very much. I just didn't see much use in learning about civilizations and species that were so distantly related to modern humanity. Fortunately, the enthusiasm and expertise of our guide drew me in and I managed to have fun in spite of myself. I liked how she would compare the different species to the skeletal physiology of humans and chimpanzees, and it turned out some of them looked a lot more like chimps than humans, at least in certain features. I also really liked the fire-making demonstration and seeing all the primitive tools. Unfortunately I seem to have lost the pictures I took on this excursion.

After the dreaded physiology test on Thursday, I relaxed by watching the first episode of Sherlock, a t.v. miniseries which Kathryn and Chibuzo had told me was very good but I hadn't seen yet. I'm glad to say that it did not disappoint! This may seem a silly thing to make the blog, but I really like reading the Sherlock Holmes stories, and seeing all the elements about Sherlock Holmes that I love played out in a modern setting was awesome and was the perfect post-test indulgence.

No comments:

Post a Comment