Monday, April 9, 2012

My Body Gave Me a Scare




First of all I have to say, I love running by the Rhine! It's so relaxing and I know I'm going to miss this once I'm back home. I hope others take the opportunity to enjoy this sight!

Now, 15 miles may sound like a lot, but considering I have to run 26 miles in two weeks, my run on Saturday was not enough! I was determined to go on a long run Saturday since I hadn't ran in a week. When I woke up, I noticed the weather was not in my favor. It was rainy and cold, but I refused to let that stop me. Once I started running by the Rhine River, the weather started clearing up. At first, everything was normal. I started warming-up and passed those difficult first few miles. When I run, I end up stopping because I feel tired and short of breath once I have reached that maximum point. Saturday, I felt invincible. I was hoping to run around 18 miles, but around the 10-11th mile things started feeling weird. My ankles were sort of bothering me and I didn't feel tired at all. It was as if my usual feelings were reversed. My legs were actually complaining, but my breathing and upper body felt like I could go on forever. My explanation might not make any sense, but let's just say my body had me very confused. 

I decided to stop at 15 miles since my body just felt weird. I was going to walk a little and then maybe continue depending on how I felt. Once I started walking my knees gave up on me and started hurting. This has never happened to me before and it definitely got me scared. I wasn't short of breath or anything, but my legs were in pain. They felt as if they were getting sore which usually doesn't happen until the next day or two. I ended up just walking to the bus and on the way there my legs felt as if they were screaming for me to sit down. It was the scariest feeling! I thought I had really overdone it this time. Fortunately, once I got home and got some rest the pain went away. The next day I just had my usual soreness which I was happy to wake up to. The best news: I can still run this marathon!

Hope everyone's training is going well! 

Tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment