Thursday, March 30, 2017

Week 9: Windy, Rainy, Rewarding Pt 2.


When I left to board the train, I thought absolutely nothing could top my trip to Scotland. Regardless I set off for the next destination. The land of dragons, daffodils, and things that are hard to pronounce: Wales. The train ride from Scotland to Wales was very beautiful and in spite of the time consumption, I would recommend it over the flight.
When the train pulled up to the Porthmadog rail station, it was around 8pm. And I had no way to get to my campsite at the base of Snowdon Mountain. I walked into the station bar to call a taxi. At first I asked for a number to a taxi, but one of the people there, Kate, actually called up a small business taxi which turned out to be much cheaper! I sat for a while in the bar chatting with the few people there- and they even bought me beers for my birthday! The taxi driver was super friendly and showed me some places along the way.

The following day I set out to climb Mt. Snowdon, Wale's highest mountain. I made it a mile up before it started to rain- fortunately I was near a safer path away from the slippery wet rocks- I continued on for about 3 more miles before I made my way down. While descended I ran into a herd of mountain goats and some sheep- who graciously watched as I stepped in the mountains of poop. If you don't step in sheep poop, did you really go to Wales?

After i came down from the trails,  I walked another 2.5 miles to the nearest village to get some "Welsh Rarebit" and fudge. I'm pretty convinced there was some sort of drug in the food because it was hella tasty.
The entire country was ethereal. Like a scene out of a fairy story book. Even with the rain, slippery rocks, and cloudy skies, exhausting 13mi the experience was well worth it.

















For the last remaining days of Spring Break I travelled to London, England to partake in some moderately touristy things. On the first night, I dropped my luggage off in a hostel with my 6 other roommates and later inhaled some incredible Mediterranean food. At the end of the night, I travelled to Soho village to meet up with none other than Josh and Krishnan from Manchester! It was nice to have a familiar face in a huge city- I also ended up making friends with a few other people at the bar. I just can't remember any names.
The final day in London, I wanted to do some shopping, so I figured I'd walk down to Camden Market. I was way over my head when I got there, because it was much larger than I anticipated. "Market"  generally implies a small square for people to sell and purchase goods. This "Market" took up most of the neighbourhood. Fortunately for me, I arrived early before the madness. There were various types of shops, from traditional Indian garbs to leather shops with boots and whips. In a different section of the market there was an entire area dedicated to street food. I could not choose between them so I got a churro. Sometimes you just have to go with the simplest option.  Later that night, I ate a typical gourmet burger and spent the remainder of the night at the Bar beneath the hostel before I left to catch my 5am train the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment