Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Week 11 - What did you learn?

So week 11 started off as being another roughish week with 2 tests, but today (Wednesday 3-29-17) was actually life changing.  I was able to watch open heart surgery.  It was beyond fascinating to be able to watch what actually happens.  There is also nothing else that can match the experience of open heart surgery.  When I entered the operating room the patient was covered with a blanket and I met the anesthesiologist Nadine, and a few of the other doctors and surgeons that were doing the surgery.  The surgery lasted about 5 and a half hours and I was blown away the whole time.  There's something beyond amazing to me about having the technology and cleverness to be able to perform the surgeries we do.  To be able to open a person, cut through the various layers of muscle, cartilage, bone and fat.  Expose there still beating heart.  Stop there heart, attach arteries and veins from other parts of the body to the heart, start the heart again, and then close the person up is such an amazing thing.  At the end of the surgery when the surgeon was stitching the patient up, he looks at me and asked "What did you learn today?"  Then when I started to answer he said, I don't want an answer I just want you to think.  He then told me that you should learn something every day and that's how you become the best.  TLDR: Open heart surgery is cool, and keep learning kids.  Also, BMEN 211 test wasn't that bad.  So pretty good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment