Friday, March 31, 2017

Week 6- Die Schlümpfe

Welp, Karneval has come and gone and I consider myself so lucky to have experienced this Rhineland tradition. Now I feel like a real Bonn-er. 

The weekend of festivities began with the women's parade in Beuel in which the entire AIB got dressed in costume and went together. Angelica and I dressed up as blue smurfs, which are actually called Schlümpfe in German, and we had such a great time. The parade itself was awesome because candy was flying everywhere and music was blaring throughout the streets which contributed to such a stress-free, fun environment. Sadly, I along with all the other BMEN students had to come back to the AIB that day because we had a differential equations test (which did not go as planned lol).

The next day, a bunch of friends and I went over to Maggie's host family's house where they were having a party for their neighborhood parade! I believe it was the Villich Muldorf parade. This parade was much smaller but still had its charm. There were tons of kids their having such a great time and it was really fun to watch. My favorite float was the one where they had a man dressed as Queen Elizabeth on top, waving to the crowd hahahahaha. After that, we went back to Bonn city-center and ate at a nice Italian restaurant for Claire's 20th birthday! We had such a great time and I'm so glad that I have found a group of friends that I can call my own. Once dinner was over, we decided to go to the "disko" to dance the night away. We started out at Carpe Nachtem... but it was super lame... I'll never go back. Then we went to a club that Kanci's host mother recommended called N8 (nacht) Schnicht! 10/10 would recommend to anyone in Bonn. They played great music, had decently priced drinks and overall just a great atmosphere inside! Angelica and I ended up leaving at 2:30 in the morning and made our way to the HBF only to find out that we had missed our train by 2 minutes so we had to wait a whole hour for the next one. We did however make it home.

Come Sunday, we all decided to take a break from the Karneval festivites and do some homework/relax because the next day was Rosenmontag and we had plans to go to Cologne. 

Then, the final event had approached us. Monday morning we all woke up really early in order to try and make it to Cologne by 9. Once we arrived, we stopped at a playground which was actually really fun and it made everyone wake up in time for the parade! That parade was hands down the best parade in all the Rhineland. By this time, we had all learned the words to the most of the Karneval songs which were playing non-stop the entire weekend so getting to sing alongside other German's definitely enhanced the experience. All in all I had such a great weekend and I can't wait to come back in the future and experience Karneval again. ALAAF!!!!!

 ^Me at the playground^
^The coolest Schlümpfe you've ever seen^

No comments:

Post a Comment