Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Week 6: Karneval- The Fifth Season.

The easiest way to describe this week would be chaotic. Chaotic fun, chaotic wild, chaotic kindness, and just straight up chaos. The week started with merely three days of formal classes. Even those days were filled with scrambling to get last minute costumes, making plans, and practicing popular songs for Karneval. For the remainder of the week up into Monday,  all knowledge was best obtained through observation and participation.

In order to survive this extended weekend there were a few essential Kölsch Vocabulary words one must know:
Karneval:  often referred to as a the 'fifth season' along the River Rhein, in which the natives and visitors indulge in liquid libations, costumes, parades and go completely mental.
Alaaf:  An expression/exclamation often shouted to signify a enjoyment, like 'Hurray'!
Kamelle: If you should this during a parade, expect candy to be hurled at you.
Jecke: Karneval Goers, also synonymous with jokesters/clowns
Kölsch(Bier): The only language you can drink. One Kölsch Bier during Karneval is a must.

Thursday: 
On Thursday, the AIB group ate Berliners before walking to a local parade in Beuel. I, on the other hand, woke up late and panicking to find my passport that mysteriously wandered off a week prior. After scattering around half the house in a clown suit, I found it and rushed to meet up with the group at the parade. In spite of the cloudy weather, the excitement and energy was high, and the bier, costumes, and kamelle was in abundance. I'm pretty sure most of the casualties that day were due to Kamelle injuries. I also tried 'Mett' which is brötchen (bread roll), with onions and raw pork. According to Dr. Wasser it is "safe", and according to me it is delicious. After the parade we split up into groups and visited our favorite cripple, Alexa. After a few hours we ventured out into the night to eat food, and party it up with the locals. 









Friday
Friday went similarly to Thursday, with the exception of less parades and more Kölsch. I spent most of the morning sewing flowers onto my dress and tights to emulate some flowery Mother Nature type person? As I was walking to the bus stop, the bus decided to run a bit earlier, therefore making me run to catch it. Half my outfit ended up in the street. Luckily I missed the bus, so I could gather my flower crown and belt out of the street. Throughout the night I dropped flowers like breadcrumbs, and I cannot remember much more. What happens in Karneval, am I right guys?















Saturday I needed a break from the madness and I stayed inside the entire day. I'm pretty sure my host mom was trying to coax me out. Introverts beware, this weekend is not for the feeble minded or faint of heart.


Sunday:
 By far the most rewarding day so far. We were able to participate in the LïKüRa Parade along side members of Therapiezentrum in Bonn.Throughout the parade we took turns assisting people with varying disabilities, handing out flyers, and throwing Kamelle to the pedestrians. Interacting with them was incredible, and although my German is limited, the people had an enormous amount of energy and a positive attitude even when we ran out of candy. I had the pleasure of walking with a woman named Sonja, who knew every song played word for word. She loved dancing and handing out candy and toy cars to the smaller children. Her energy was contagious and I'm glad I was awarded this opportunity. Unfortunately, walking 3K very slowly and forcing a smile is more exhausting that I thought. After the parade I went home and went to sleep. 





On Monday,  I was very much mentally done with Karneval. I tried to hide in my room all day, but my Host mom found me and kicked me out to go watch the biggest parade of all. Honestly, I don't know how anybody, let alone 60,000 people, made it to this parade because I was kaputt. I refused to collect candy, but that didn't stop me from getting pelted with it. I also refused to drink, but it didn't stop me from shouting ALAAF!
Great week. Would reccomend. I'd do it again in 5 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment