Sunday, March 5, 2017

Week 6- Karneval! Alaaf! Kamelle!

It was difficult to try and get work done while preparing for Karneval. It was all anyone can talk about. We were trying to find costumes, and make plans so that we could enjoy the experience. I was stressing out trying to keep up with my schoolwork and finish making my costume. I wanted to be a unicorn but could not find a horn or any of the supplies I could use to make it. I finally found a flower headband for cheap and was able to salvage paper and things to attach my paper horn to the headband. My unicorn horn did not turn out quit like I wanted but it still looked good. I also tried to temporarily dye my hair blue. I made the mistake of only buying one bottle of dye, which is not nearly enough for my long hair. I also started at my bottom layer, which is brown and did not pick up the dye. In the end only a few strands were haphazardly dyed blue. It still looked really cool especially in combination with my unicorn horn and outfit. My host mom really loved my costume. She had me show all her children that were visiting her for Karneval. The magic of my costume was lost a little when a number of drunken guys took my horn as a sign that it was ok to harass me. I was fortunate enough to be able to remove myself from the situation. Still I was upset because what I had thought was a cool and cute costume got turned against me by some assholes. At the end of day my costume was still awesome and I had a good time the rest of the weekend.
            Thursday morning Dr. Wasser took us to a parade in Buel. The parade was really cool and a good preparation for what the rest of the week was going to be like. There was so much candy and treats being thrown out. We physically couldn’t pick up all of it. The road was literally coated with candy, candy wrappers, and confetti. The rest of my weekend was spent ambling about Bonn trying to find things to do, hanging out at Alexa’s, and watching parades. I did attend a local Frat Party. It was interesting to see how it was organized and run. The fraternity members had complete control over the alcohol. You had to pay to receive a drink, which was nice because you were getting a constant and controlled amount of alcohol. The people were also quite a bit tamer at the party. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

            I also enjoyed hanging out as a group at Alexa’s apartment. It was really nice to see her again and to just sit and laugh. It seemed to lift all of our spirits to be back together as group.



No comments:

Post a Comment