Saturday, January 27, 2018

Week 2

Blog Post of Week 2: Lifestyle and Education
January 24, 2018

Week 2 has already come and gone. Every day I feel a little more confident in the city that I am now a citizen of and the friendships that are strengthening during each new day. Now, I can find my way from the AIB to the market place where all the food trucks are and I think is a major victory, since that means I get to spend all my money on street food without worrying about getting lost!
Last Friday, we took an excursion to Cologne. It was partially rough for me because I was so late that I had to run to the platform of the train station and I could not finish the rooftop tour based on my extreme fear of heights, but I’m happy to report that I still had a really great time. Cologne is beautiful (as is all of Germany that I've seen so far) and it has a museum from one of the Nazi Gestapo buildings that is free for the Germans, to remind them of their past and keep them from making the same mistakes in the future. I think America needs more free museums like this, because it was cool and intellectual experience and everyone should be reminded of their mistakes to prevent them from happening again. At the Gestapo prison, there was an interesting wall composed of writings found there by different prisoners, and a lot of them would say “I have no idea why I am in here” and it made me feel sad and rather introspective. I could not imagine living in fear everyday that I might be betrayed by my neighbors or friends from school. It certainly makes you grateful for the liberties that we have today.
After Cologne, I took my first weekend trip with a couple of people in the program. We went to Brussels, Belgium because the Flix bus was inexpensive there and it was close by, plus who doesn’t want to say they tried a Belgium waffle in Belgium?
The Grand Place Square in the city was absolutely breathtaking, with its buildings lined with golden accents on the stones and the smell of sweet waffles everywhere you go. On the walk there, we past a huge, elaborate palace that houses the royalty of the country, historical statues, grand cathedrals, and a pretty garden with green and red flowers. Also, we took a free walking tour of the city which I would highly recommend to anyone visiting this major city of the EU. We had a break in between the tour where we got Belgium hot chocolate (so delicious!!) and then we grabbed waffles after the tour was over. It was cold and rainy the whole time we were there so shoutout to Mitchell for sharing his umbrella with me the whole time. Your generosity will never be forgotten, friend.
Weekend trips are important because they give you the opportunity to explore countries you would otherwise not be able to see, and learn about the history that makes the place how it is today. Also, it helps you become closer with the other students who join you on these trips which is fun and imperative to your happiness abroad J
The rest of the week was rather busy. Classes were in full swing and I stayed at the AIB for 11 hours last Wednesday, which I would never ever do in College Station... The classes are definitely no joke, but luckily I find most of them very riveting, like the History of Medicine class and German with Hilde Koch. We also had a cultural workshop where we had to write a letter to ourselves that we would read at the end of the trip, and I am excited to read how my feelings changed and expectations were accomplished. I think it will be a great way to end the program, and I am already sad that I will have to go back home at some point. I love being here too much!

Thank you for reading this post and thank you, Germany, for a wonderful 2 weeks so far!


Bis Bald!

No comments:

Post a Comment