Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Inexperienced experience

Perhaps my confusing post title will make a little more sense if I start by saying that I lived in Wiesbaden, Germany from 2009-2011. My dad received a 2-year assignment at the American army base there, and thus my entire family relocated to Wiesbaden. I was extremely excited to move away from the “boring ole’ United States” and live in this beautiful country that I had witnessed only through pictures, but living there was not as blissful as I had imagined. While I loved many things about Germany, it took me a long time to acclimate, as I did not know anyone coming in and spoke very little of the language. Despite my initial struggles, living in Germany forced me out of my comfort zone and helped me develop my confidence. Through both the comfortable and less comfortable experiences, I developed a love for this gorgeous country, as well as for the gracious German people and I have yearned to return ever since.


7 years later, I have gotten that opportunity. This time, however, I will be living without the comfort of my parents, who were the one source of certainty that I had when I lived in Germany before. Before leaving for Germany (I have been here since January 3), I was not quite as nervous as I expect some people are, as I am somewhat familiar with the country. However, I have been quickly thrown out of my comfort zone yet again. Getting around on my own in a foreign country with only my broken German to rely on has definitely been a slightly nerve racking, but exciting experience. Over the past couple of days, I have gotten the chance to stay at a youth hostel, as well as with old neighbors, where I have gotten the opportunity to develop friendships with other students from India and Switzerland respectively, as well as reconnect with old German friends. What I have talked about above is exactly what the “Hero’s Journey” means to me- putting yourself out of your comfort zone by immersing yourself in a foreign culture. Although I am still very uncertain about what these next three months will bring, I am excited for how this unique study abroad experience will further develop my confidence, cultural awareness (including my severely lacking German speaking skills HA!), and independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment