Sunday, January 28, 2018

I guess I should write more - Week 1 pt. 2

So after reading other people’s 10+ paragraph blog posts in comparison with my 2 paragraph review on my host brother’s mixtape, I decided I should write a tiny bit more.  So bare with me- here it goes.

Our first “real” week of classes has been a pretty incredible experience. It seems like everyday, we get to experience something new.  From running back home at 4:30 in the morning because the buses stopped running to traveling to new cities and countries, this first week abroad has been truly memorable. The first weekend, we got the opportunity to travel to the nearby wine tasting region, a beautiful river carved valley with thousands upon thousands of grape fields lining the surrounding mountains.  After a scenic climb up the misty hill, we made it to the top (some 150 meters higher), where we were greeted by a delicious glass of white reisling wine and breathtaking views of the valley below. Afterwards, we were rewarded with a delicious traditional german meal along with various glasses of other wines down in the wine cellar (oh I guess I should mention that this was after the AIB mentioned that alcohol was rarely sanctioned on school excursions). The following day, we got the opportunity to explore the beautiful Rheingau park in downtown Bonn.  After freezing our butts off for a good 3 hours, we were greeted with warm glühwein- I tried to only have one cup, but ended up having a couple more at the insistence of the AIB student workers.  I couldn’t just let the extra go to waste ya know! That night, we went out for Madeline’s 20th birthday (20, the new 21!?) where we met two local german guys at an Australian bar.  Thank God for the 5 pretty girls in our group, cause I’m definitely not cute enough to get free shots without them.

On Sunday, my roommate Corey and I walked down the Rhein River (a mere half a kilometer from where my host family lives) with our host parents, Mandy and Wolfgang. It was an absolutely gorgeous walk, as the sun was shining for perhaps the first time since I had arrived in Germany.  I guess I should take this opportunity to talk a little about my host family-  Corey and I are living in North Bonn (BN- Auerberg) with our host parents, Mandy and Wollie.  They have 3 sons, 2 of which still live at home (Romello, 16 and León, 18).  I honestly could not have asked for a better host family.  They are so gracious and fun to be around- Corey and I get along well with our host brothers as well as our host parents.  Oh and should I mention that Mandy makes some of the best dinners that I have ever eaten- sorry Mom. I have also been able to practice my German with my host family, and slowly but surely, I see myself getting more and more confident with speaking, even with my broken German. I cannot wait to see what this semester abroad has in store for me!

On Monday, we began "classes", but it turned out to be just a Visa meeting and my first German class. YA BOI can now call himself a citizen of Bonn!!- it doesn't matter if I couldn't read a thing on the Ausmeldung (Visa paperwork). I love my German teacher, Frau Jansen, and can already tell German will be my favorite class this semester by far (if only I could only take German).

On Tuesday, we traveled to Aachen, a beautiful old city on the border of Germany and the Netherlands, where we met with the German biotech company "Enmodes" to learn about our semester long project, as well as toured the Aachen cathedral.  Constructed in the 9th century under the reign of emperor Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire, the cathedral is the oldest cathedral north of the Alps. I tried to sit in the throne of Charlemagne, but just like Napoleon, I was just a tad bit too short.

On Wednesday night, a few students and I went ice skating in Bonn. It was fun, but I realized that I have no future as a professional figure skater. Other than that, Wednesday and Thursday are not really worth writing about other than to say that school is rough. Its definitely going to be hard maintaining a school mindset despite traveling almost every weekend.

After a rough two days in school, we got a well deserved break on Friday when we traveled to Cologne. There, a guide with an incredibly funny German/British accent led us on an interesting tour through the city. If I gained nothing else from the tour, I at least learned that the cologne that men put on their bodies to smell good originated in Cologne, Germany as an alcoholic beverage- sounds kinda nasty but maybe that's just me. After a delicious lunch, we went on a tour of the old Gestapo headquarters during World War 2, and got to see the prison cells where they would keep political prisoners for days at a time in horrifically unsanitary conditions. Every one of the 12 cells had a slew of messages carved into the wall, written in a wide variety of languages by various prisoners held there during the Nazi era. Finally, after this extremely saddening, but eye opening museum, we got a personal tour of the Gothic Cologne cathedral, the 2nd tallest church in Germany. For the next two hours, we wound through narrow spiral staircases and passageways as we explored every crack and cranny of that magnificent piece of art. Once at the top of the bell tour, we witnessed a beautiful sunset (YEAH IT WAS SUNNY IN GERMANY FOR ONCE), which neither words nor pictures can convey.  It was absolutely breathtaking, with the pink and golden sky casting shadows on the dark stone speyers.  What a way to end the evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment