Tuesday, January 9, 2018

See you soon, Germany

I am about twenty four hours away from take off and I feel nothing but excitement for the journey I am about to embark on! My destination is in a little town within the country of Germany called Bonn, or better known as Home for the next four months, and it is here where I will learn about a new culture and in Mark Twain's words, experience a new 'corner' of our world.

My expectations are nothing extraordinary. I would love to come back to the states feeling content about having experienced a new way of life and see the world from a more charitable and understanding point of view. As a traveler, I would like to cross off countries from my list of dream destinations, and as a student, I would like to learn more about the history, culture, and language of the country I am temporarily inhabiting. As a house guest, I would like to connect with my host family and create a bond strong- strong enough so that if I were to visit Germany again, I would have a family there to visit. And lastly, as a future worker in the medical field, I would like to reflect on my experience in Germany and use it to make myself a better healthcare provider and even learn about the rise of medicine and what kinds of research are taking place to advance the field.

I chose to go on this Hero’s Journey because I knew I needed a change in my life. I've had a grand dream of traveling the world for years, and this was the first step to fulfilling that dream. While looking up programs to participate in through my school, my criteria was simple: go to a place I have never visited before. Germany was the top of my list and this program seemed to fit perfectly with my degree plan and my future in medicine, so that is why I am flying to Germany tomorrow, January 10th 2018.

The top three things I am excited for during my time in Germany is
1.      Having experiences that will allow me to share stories, knowledge, and advice to other people who also have a vision to travel and a curiosity for the world outside their own.
2.      Making new friends that I return home with in America and reflect on our journey together.
3.      Living a different life once I return- one that seeks more adventure and is simply happier!

My biggest anxieties about studying abroad are not connecting with the people I am traveling and living with and running out of funds so that I am not able to participate in all the adventures that I long for, to be truthful. Other than that, I can only say that I am excited for my new life abroad and the beginning to my new life as a global traveler who constantly learns about the world of others outside of her own. 

Bis bald, Deutschland!

No comments:

Post a Comment