Thursday, January 18, 2018

An excess of Kartoffelsalat || Jan 18, 2018

Here’s the most important word to learn in the Plachetka household: Kartoffelsalat. Translated, potato salad. Okay, maybe it’s not the most important word, but it was the first that our host mom taught us, and it definitely played a key role in my first few days in Germany—Ibk (my housemate) and I had it at least once a day for the first four days (apparently Germans love potato salad??), which didn’t seem to bode well for the next four months. Fortunately, we haven’t had any in the last few days and the food gets better and better!

It’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that I’ve only been here for one week. It seems like I spent months eating Kartoffelsalat and it’s been months since, yet it’s only been days. Days! In just a matter of days, I’ve fallen in love with Gilgen’s bäckerei, gotten lost on the bus, taken my first legal drink (okay, drinks), walked through snow on my way to class, asked “Sprechen Sie Englisch?” more times than I can count, and best of all--begun to call Germany home.


Layover in NY: No kittens harmed in the making of this photo.
Wine not?
These windows are my happy place.
Ready for the months ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment