Friday, January 19, 2018

The First Week of School


Every year has been the same. Wake up early. Stay in bed a little too long. Run for a bus. Finally arrive late for school. The difference this semester? I am doing all of this in Germany. now that i am finally used to traveling around in Bonn, class has started. This brings a new host of challenges, mainly homework. I may be a tad peeved at the amount of work we received, as almost every class gave out some sort of lengthy homework to fill my weekend. However, the excursion to Cologne was the most interesting one I had so far. It was full of beautiful views and impactful sites. The Cologne cathedral was easily my favorite site I have seen far. The rooftop walk literally blew my breath away! However, the visit that will stick with me the most is the visit to the former Gestapo office. Seeing the atrocities that were committed horrified me. The prisons and fear that lingered in the walls of the building shook me. But what most most disturbing to me was the fact that many of the horrors committed by the Nazis are still present today. It made me reflect on mankind as a whole and real consider if we have really moved past such barbaric cruelty.

No comments:

Post a Comment