Tuesday, January 9, 2018

I'm Going to Germany Tomorrow is This Real Life??

I can't believe this is actually happening!  Tomorrow is the day I board my flight for Germany where I will be living for four months.  I have been waiting for this day for so long, and it is completely surreal that it has finally arrived.  Saying I am experiencing a whirlwind of emotions would be an understatement. As I sit here typing this, I feel excited for all the new adventures, but a little nervous to be out of my comfort zone.  Eager to meet new people, but sad to leave my friends and family behind.  However, I know that once my plane hits the tarmac in Frankfurt I'll be so excited to start this journey.

During our meetings, Dr. Wasser focuses a lot on the Hero's Journey, and how it applies to this study abroad opportunity.  When I think of the Hero's Journey that I will undergo, I focus on the rebirth portion.  I believe that I will be sort've baptized on this adventure and be a completely new person when I return.  There will be so many different experiences and sights and moments that I will get to experience that my outlook on life will be completely transformed upon return to the States.  However, I know that the Hero's Journey is not all smiles and rainbows and I am expecting lots of challenges to head my way.  First and foremost, I am anxious about the 4 flights and 3 layovers I have to deal with on my way to Frankfurt.  A lot can go wrong in that time so I am just hoping for the best.  I am also nervous about traveling extensively for the first time on my own.  I hope that I can roll with the punches if things don't go as planned and truly take in the sights of wherever I'm visiting instead of being nervous about other things that may be going on at the time.  Lastly, like every new thing I do, it's hard for me to put myself out there at first.  I've got to be confident in myself because I know that I can accomplish anything.

My expectations for this trip are pretty small, because I want to go into this adventure with as much of an open mind as possible.  I don't wanna be stuck to one experience because I want to be flexible.  However, I am expecting to learn a lot about myself such as how I handle myself in completely new situations without the support of family and friends.  I am expecting to SEE THE WORLD, and I can't wait to explore all of Europe has to offer.  Finally, I am expecting to grow.  I don't want to be the same person coming back as I was leaving.  It's important for me to have my thoughts challenged and broadened.

Overall, I think I'm still in denial that this is actually happening.  I don't think I'll actually believe it until I step foot into Bonn and finally meet my host family who I can't wait to meet!  I know I am going to have the time of my life, all I have to do now is just get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment