Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I really dislike the cold...

Week 1 : The Departure

The winter weather and I just do not seem to get along. There seems to be something cold about it that keeps us from seeing eye to eye. However, I still decided to take part in this once in a lifetime opportunity to venture to a cold, unknown region on the world. Well, at least unknown to me who has never truly experienced life outside of my corner of the world. The decision to take this step was led by a passion for adventure and just wanting to experience what the world has to offer. Growing up with my parents, who are Filipino and Thai/Laotian, I heard many stories about what living elsewhere feels like. Their stories contrasted with life here many times and overall I want to see what life is like everywhere else. 

During this next semester I want to indulge into the surrounding culture of wherever I may be, whether it be in Germany or in another country. I expect the be able to broaden my own mindset by adding these cultural ideals with the ones that I grew up around. Also, trying all of the different foods of the area is something that I am excited for. I have always been fond of local diners and cafes and I have heard that Europe has some of the best cafes the world has to offer. New, strange dishes are nothing too new to me having grown up around dinuguan (a Filipino dish that sounds slightly unpleasant after hearing the ingredients), so trying all of the "strange" foods will be fun. 

Hopefully, I did not forget anything at home, because as I am writing this in an airport, it's already too late to go back and get it. If everything went smooth it would not feel as much as a adventure though, so I am expecting and anxiously waiting for me to figure out what I forgot and figuring out what to do about it. Adding on to that, I'm concerned that I am just underprepared and not really ready for this trip. I feel like I may be ready, but at the same time I have the lingering feeling that I'm about to receive a rude awakening about something. However, I suppose the anticipation of doom is better than just doom itself. 

Lastly, I just want to say that I am ready to see. Ready to see all that I can because what is the point of living without seeing everything the world has to offer. There's so much out there to see with my own eyes and I am thrilled to be able to do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment