Thursday, January 18, 2018

So someone did pinch me (thanks Lexie!)

I cant believe its been a week already. This week has been a learning week. It started off with me meeting my host family, Renate and Hoover. They are so precious and extremely intelligent; I mean like they are literally walking history books. After getting a quick tour of the house, we went on to have dinner. I had dinner with my host parents, Lexie (my acquired sister), their daughter, one of their grandsons, one of my classmates, Alvin (an acquired nephew) and a family friend who is hosting Eric, a student from Penn State. Dinner included German potato salad, salad, bread, and hamburger patty. Having potato salad for dinner three times in a row over the next couple of days, I quickly realized that Germans looove their kartoffeln (potato) salad.


The rest of the week continued with other realizations. We took a trip to a beautiful winery called Mayschoss, where I tasted my first couple of wines, which I realized I wasn't a huge fan of. I realized that recycling trash is a little more complicated than I thought. At the beginning of the first week, we went on a scavenger hunt to get to know a little bit about Bonn, where I realized that hot wine is a thing. I realized that having wifi is a luxury and lastly, I realized that no amount of tour will prepare you for the inevitability of getting lost at least once. I am proud to say however, I have only gotten lost once so far.

Aachen cathedral ft random stranger 
Live music on the street of Aachen
We visited Aachen, an old city just about an hour and a half away from Bonn, where we went to the cathedral and its treasury. The tour was unlike any other; it was interesting and packed with a lot of history from the early middle ages. Classes officially began on Wednesday, and its definitely different from the traditional class. I have to work on my time management skills to work efficiently at school as well to maximize my travel time. Today, we leave for Cologne, another neighboring city to Bonn, after which some of my classmates and I are heading to Brussels for the weekend.

Say aacheese!!
Excited to continue this adventure, and will keep you updated,

Bis bald!

No comments:

Post a Comment