Thursday, January 18, 2018

Anticipating the long awaited journey to Germany!


(Although this was submitted late… these were my initial thoughts before arriving!)
      In these past few months I’ve been looking forward to experiencing the various adventures and opportunities that I will encounter on the biosciences semester abroad. After discovering this program last summer, I knew it would be a great chance to develop and grow my interests in biomedical sciences. As a college student, I have been searching for the most appealing aspects my major has to offer. And although I have yet to discover what kind of post graduate program I would like to partake in, I am hoping the experiences I gain from the Germany semester will further advance my career goals and the decisions I will be making in the future. My reasons for choosing this particular program depended partially on the fact that it will be based out of Germany as well as the research project we will be participating in and the courses offered.
       Further, I am looking forward to meeting the other students that will be taking part in this program. Having been accustomed to the large number of students and class sizes at Texas A&M University, I believe that the relationships that will form during this trip will certainly be unique to this experience. I am very excited, but slightly nervous, to meet my host family and move into their house for the next four months. While I am hoping to establish a connection with them, I’m also anticipating the awkward feeling that will most likely accompany the experience of living with complete strangers. Another daunting element of moving to a foreign country is learning to communicate with the locals; hearing a language I have never been exposed to and trying to respond in an understandable fashion seems to be impossible.
    There are probably about a thousand things to be excited about before heading overseas, but I believe one of the most obvious will be traveling around the various cities throughout Europe. The trips planned and weekend travels will hopefully provide us with many opportunities to engage in the European culture. I believe one of the main attractions to traveling is exploring the cities and discovering foreign traditions that Americans are not commonly accustomed to. Additionally, I’m looking forward to the opportunity we have to stay long term in Germany and experience the locals’ day-to-day lifestyle in a unique way that would otherwise not be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment